• Advertisement

Food Plot 2010

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Re: Food Plot 2010

Postby lugnutzz » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

yes.... we do... what are you calling "deer corn"?? we have a feed or fuel corn we sell and then our hybrid seed corn..

most of the time when you replant corn with feed corn you get a bunch of selfs.. meaning the plant self pollinated itself.. hybrid corn has a male plant and a female plant... also the feed corn usually makes smaller nubbin ears...
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby conservative » Tue May 25, 2010 3:12 am

lugnutzz wrote:yes.... we do... what are you calling "deer corn"?? we have a feed or fuel corn we sell and then our hybrid seed corn..

most of the time when you replant corn with feed corn you get a bunch of selfs.. meaning the plant self pollinated itself.. hybrid corn has a male plant and a female plant... also the feed corn usually makes smaller nubbin ears...

You must not have been in Walmart during the fall / winter months?? Deer corn is feed corn (I just call it shelled corn) in a bag that people put in feeders for deer (I assume that's what they are purchasing it for). Now, I am probably sounding like a lawyer, God forbid, and as I stated in an earlier post I have quit the practice of planting plain old shelled / feed corn / deer corn now that I have been told it's illegal (I'm still skeptical) but my question is do you require your customers to sign a stewardship agreement when they purchase a 50 pound bag of feed corn (some people call this deer corn)? I've never had to sign a stewardship agreement for any feed corn that I have ever purchased from any seed / fertilizer place. I purchased one bag of "deer corn" for a squirrel feeder several years ago and the cashier didn't ask me to sign anything. With that said, would someone be violating the law if they sewed this "feed corn", not knowing that it had any of the genetic traits that have patents that require the stewardship agreements to be signed by monsanto or pioneer or whoever? How would anyone know where the corn came from? Also, as I stated earlier does monsanto, pioneer or whoever really give a rat's rear end if some poor redneck living in the sticks in Mississippi who doesn't farm for a living, doesn't harvest anything he plants, but still purchases their products (rr soybeans / "seed corn") for the sole purpose of planting for wildlife but yet every now and then sews some corn bought as deer corn / feed corn / shelled corn or whatever to see if it would actually come up and make corn? FYI I have purchased three bags of rr seed corn and about 1200# of rr soybeans over the past three years and have yet to "brown bag" or even harvest the first bean or ear of corn. You sound like you are in the business of selling these products and I'm not trying to corner you up but I hope you see the point I have tried to make even though I personally don't do it anymore because I won't want to do something wrong even in ignorance.
conservative
button buck

Postby lugnutzz » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 am

i do see your point.. and no we don't make them sign a stewardship agreement for feed/fuel corn... Monsanto and Pioneer just require that form when purchasing seed for planting even if you aren't going to harvest it... you, the hunter and "food plot" farmer, are still getting a benefit from the RR or BT traits and Monsanto/Pioneer feel they should be compensated for their efforts and traits... if you saw the break-down of the price of corn or soybeans you would see why the prices are "high"..

we used to have a sales program here where we would bring small groups of customers out to our demo fields and through our processing plant and show them what it takes to make a quality product.. most were shocked that the price was not higher after seeing the complex equipment used to clean seed... its not just a fancy combine.. we have 5 steps the soybeans go through to get a cleaned and sized product... corn is whole different ball game and set-up...

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 pm

if it does not have any kind of TOS or written thing on the bag of deer corn
or if i dont have to sign anything when buying deer corn then it doesnot
sound illegal for me to plant a bag of deer corn at all..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby lugnutzz » Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I'll throw something out at yall... you buy a bag of deer feed corn and you pay sales tax on it.. you buy the same bag and called "seed" and there is no sales tax on it...

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby 204 ruger » Tue May 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Seeds Inc is charging sales tax on seed sold to sportsmen now. Imagine that.....
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby lugnutzz » Tue May 25, 2010 7:12 pm

MS tax law says seed is non-taxable..

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby 204 ruger » Wed May 26, 2010 2:45 pm

They are located in Memphis TN. First time I have paid tax on seed in 20 yrs
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed May 26, 2010 3:09 pm

what about the farmers who plant a seperate section of sweet corn, and they sell 40 or 50 pound bags on side of street to eat and u just pay and walk off, no signing nothing, no receipt, no nothing...is it illegal to get that, dry em out and replant them seeds?? ive never done that and aint gonna do it...im just wondering
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed May 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Well i haven't planted a foot plot in several years but if i was going to plant one i think i would plant what i wanted to where i wanted to and when i wanted to..... :stir: :stir:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed May 26, 2010 7:01 pm

turkeyjv wrote:Well i haven't planted a foot plot in several years but if i was going to plant one i think i would plant what i wanted to where i wanted to and when i wanted to..... :stir: :stir:

;)
I doubt most people would even go thru the trouble of saving seeds for planting a foodplot. But if they did, I would have to think the chances of any legal problems happening would be slim to none. Even if they put up a sign at the road advertising the fact that theyre doing it to plant a foodplot, I still dont see anything happening. And if it did....it would be very hard to prove and not worth the effort. Prove that the seed that is planted came from a crop that I salvaged and signed an agreement on. Hmmm, could be difficult is all im sayin. :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm

LazyGhost wrote:
turkeyjv wrote:Well i haven't planted a foot plot in several years but if i was going to plant one i think i would plant what i wanted to where i wanted to and when i wanted to..... :stir: :stir:

;)
I doubt most people would even go thru the trouble of saving seeds for planting a foodplot. But if they did, I would have to think the chances of any legal problems happening would be slim to none. Even if they put up a sign at the road advertising the fact that theyre doing it to plant a foodplot, I still dont see anything happening. And if it did....it would be very hard to prove and not worth the effort. Prove that the seed that is planted came from a crop that I salvaged and signed an agreement on. Hmmm, could be difficult is all im sayin. :D

well i would for sure, RR corn aint cheap...and i doubt it would take over 45 minutes to bag 50 pounds to save
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby lugnutzz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:32 pm

monsanto has ways of checking.. we have to report sales and farmers have to file marketing intention plans.. so they know... they have more ways to find out info than NCIS, FBI, CIA, and all the others..

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby conservative » Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 am

As stated before, I quit the practice even though I did it only "twice" as an experiment. If a person did what I did and the corn planted was from a bag of corn that was NOT sold or labeled as "seed" and you were not saving, harvesting or selling any corn produced from that crop then I would say the chances of you being investigated, prosecuted and found guilty of anything illegal would be 1 in a million. I'm still skeptical of the fact that what I did was "illegal" in the first place.
conservative
button buck

Postby jv » Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 am

lugnutzz wrote:monsanto has ways of checking.. we have to report sales and farmers have to file marketing intention plans.. so they know... they have more ways to find out info than NCIS, FBI, CIA, and all the others..

Don't get me wrong but we are talking food plot for wildlife here not farming.....i got a friend that farms over 10,000 acres of corn, soybeans and cotton and yes i can see where they have to keep records and have planes filed for the goverment to have some control over them but i can't see where a person who plants 1/4 to 1/2 acre of corn for deer has to go to all this trouble.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Previous

Return to Wildlife Habitat