• Advertisement

Beaver Dam Revisited (New Photos)

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Beaver Dam Revisited (New Photos)

Postby FireCloud » Sun May 23, 2010 9:44 pm

New Photos Posted - Scroll To Bottom of Thread

This afternoon, I strapped my camera case to my belt, took my .22 rifle, and headed up Trehon Creek to the new beaver dam that some "busy beavers" have recently constructed. The dam is a little under 3 feet high and about 15 feet across; a small dam by beaver standards. However, even a small dam can back up a fairly decent pool of water upcreek for a considerable distance, as the photos show.

I did not see any signs of recent activity, such as fresh cut saplings, drag trails down to the water, or any beaver tracks. Since I did not discover this dam until a month or so ago, and since most dam building occurs during the cold months, I am wondering if the beavers built this dam last winter, then were killed when the creek froze during the bitter cold and snow we got in Februrary.

Thus, I removed a large sapling from the edge of the dam and used it to breach the dam near the center. I sat down in a good position up on the bank over looking the dam and waited until darkness began to fall but no beaver appeared to check why their water was all draining out. If they repair the break I made, then I will know they are still actively using this area and can take futher action.

I would be happy to allow someone to trap these beavers if they are still there. If anyone is interested or knows a trapper who might be, please let me know.

The Beaver Dam

The Beaver Pond

The Break In The Dam

Draining The Pond

Last edited by FireCloud on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Beaver Dam

Postby FC » Mon May 24, 2010 6:18 am

Great pictures FC ... that branch in the third pic got my attention really quick since it looks just like something I've seen many times before ... and when They get to that size They are really ugly and mean looking. Doubt I have to tell ya to be really careful when you visit that area because it almost a given that several reside in that enpoundment.

Before you put the :smash: on the biggest one you see, snap a pic of it and post the Bad Boy here ! That'd be so 8) to see !
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby jv » Mon May 24, 2010 8:13 am

Great pictures and watch out for them cottonmouths they love those deaver dams
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 pm

The beavers I am not too worried about. Did I mention I like to kill animals? :)

But the cottonmouths are another story. Those critters get my respect real quick. This time of year, when not walking on one of my clear trails, I move slowly and carefully, looking at every step I make. When coming to any thick areas, I make lots of noise and take my time, giving any snakes a chance to move off. I do however keep a full clip of rat shot handy just in case.

Most of the cottonmouths tend to live in the bottom of the various smaller ravines, especially the one right below my main deer stand. If I drop anything off into that ravine, I just consider it lost forever unless I can reach it with something.

I really do hope if the beavers are still living in that pond I can get some photos of them before I shoot them. If it were not for the damage they will do to the trees, I would leave them alone and let them stay there. If they are big enough, I might save the meat for our next MSDeer Day cookout. :D

PS> If any of you are skilled at skinning out and cleaning a beaver, I have never done that so I am in need of instructions.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:06 pm

The trappers around here want you to pay 30.00 per beaver they catch
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby reesguide » Tue May 25, 2010 2:14 pm

22 ammo it cheaper than that!!!!!! And more fun!!!!!! :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 pm

I revisited the beaver dam this weekend to find it well repaired and enlarged a little more. Thus, it is indeed an actively used beaver pond.

I tore out a much larger breach this time to give them something to do. When I return next time, I will bring implements to readily take out at least half the dam so the water will totaly drain out of their pond. Constant harrassment of these critters is enjoyable to me and may discourage them enough to make them move to another location. I will also mount my game camera at the dam so hopefully I will get a good series of pictures to post of them reconstructing the dam.

Here are some photos from my recent visit.

Beaver Slide down the bank.

Cut sapling.

Rebuilt Dam.

Draining the water.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Beaver Dam Revisited (New Photos)

Postby conservative » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:01 am

I've had beaver problems from time to time on my place. They can ruin some good timber if left alone. Is this the only dam you're dealing with or are there others "upstream"? The last ones I dealt with had three dams withing one hundred yards or so. I trapped and killed four beavers that year and broke the dams similar to what you've done and mother nature took care of them. Those dams have yet to be rebuilt and that was about 6 years ago.
conservative
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 am

looks like you made them mad and they came back bigger & stronger :)
gtk
Admin

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Had 2 get in my pond last year during deer season. I ended up taking out one of em and the other got the hint and moved on. They wouldnt show themselves till late afternoon (prime time).
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 pm

We had three that we busted up a couple of weeks ago that had water backed up in about thirty acres of wood.....we hope in a few weeks to take a backhoe in and completely remove them
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:58 pm

I believe I have some snares you can have. We tried em at the deer camp a few years back but never did have any success with em.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Haven't had time to explore further upstream yet as that is not on my land. I feel like there are more dams upstream.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat