• Advertisement

Large Lad Eagle Beans

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Large Lad Eagle Beans

Postby glenn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 pm

I have deer hunted forever and planted fall plots just about as long, but this is my first attempt at summer planting. Two weeks ago I planted 2 plots, 1 1/2 acre and 1 acre about 300 yards apart with the Large Lad beans mixed with about 4 lbs of corn per acre. All seeds were round up ready. When I planted, the soil was basically dust and didn't get any real rain until this past Saturday. Since then we have had about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.

I had a very small amount of beans and corn come up before Saturday in the shady moist areas of the plots. The first day I checked them there were a few beans about 2 inches tall. 2 days later those beans had been eaten off. I checked them again on Sunday and noticed some of the stalks were sprouting back out just above the bottom leaves, the 2 initial leaves that pop out as soon as the bean comes out of the ground. If they were bitten off below those 2 leaves there was no sign of life. Now my laundry list of questions.

1) Is this what I can expect as they all come on up, or am I dreaming and seeing beans at different stages after being eaten?

2) I know it is recommended to plant at least 3 acres to prevent the deer from wiping them out, but should this amount survive by using the large lad beans?

If the answer to 1 and 2 is bad, lie to me and make me feel better about burning so much money :bash: .

3) I have a healthy crop of grasses coming up. If survival is expected of the beans, when and what should I spray to kill the weeds if anything?

Wouldn't you all hate to teach me in school? I have lots of questions and don't mind asking even when they make me look really dumb.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: Large Lad Eagle Beans

Postby conservative » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

To answer your question about spraying first. Spray the plots anyway. It can't hurt and glyphosate (roundup) is cheap right now. It can only help your crop to eliminate as much weed competition as possible. The large lad beans are no different than any other soybean in that if they are cropped early in the two leaf stage they are done or at least that's been my experience. Last year I faced a similar problem but I had two three acre fields of large lad beans some of which was mixed with corn. My problem was a combination of dry weather and deer pressure. The beans never made it but the corn did even though the previous two years my soybeans did great. I don't want to discourage you but my guess is your plot is too small (my opinion only). I planted two weeks ago and I appear to have a good stand. My fingers are crossed in the early stages after last year's disaster. Good luck with yours.
conservative
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I've generally found the same thing as you, with the beans... If there are not many beans, the deer will clip them before they ever get started good..

I tried them again this year (Eagle Forage Beans), but planted them really thick and in the middle of my corn... If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have waited till my corn cam up and was growing, before planting the beans between the rows...
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:22 pm

this year we mixed rr corn and soybeans..last time i checked the fields, the soybeans looked pittiful but the corn looked good...we only plant corn in our biggest plots, 2/2.5 ++acres...this may be the last year we plant soybeans because the deer WILL NOT let em grow up...weve tried the ribbon/spray stuff...soap..none of it worked...only thing we aint tried yet is human hair.....with this said for US the best thing we have found that the deer actually let mature is planting 2+acres in one spot at a time with corn...weve tried beans and other stuff and the deer simply will not let it mature.............i have forgotten what brand glysophate we use..when to spray? spray when the weeds get tall enough to where when you spray, the glysophate will hit the weeds, in other words when glysophate touches the ground it is useless...also spray on a hot sunny day around noon....
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 pm

All of your answers were pretty much what I was thinking. I do appreciate the replies.

SDK, have you lost your mind "...also spray on a hot sunny day around noon..." ? :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: That means I would have to sweat!!! Someone might get the wrong idea. :roll:
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 pm

OK please excuse the dumb old man: but he has 2 questions
What are Large Lad Beans?
And why the heck do you want summer food plots to mature?

I want the deer to eat them up and get fat and sassy for the fall :D
so they fill the freezer faster
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 pm

jbullard1 wrote:OK please excuse the dumb old man: but he has 2 questions

want soybeans to mature to give protein for deer
want corn to mature to give fat for deer
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby conservative » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

jbullard1 wrote:OK please excuse the dumb old man: but he has 2 questions

Not so much mature as to put on some growth and produce plenty of forage. Anything that produces a bean is just a plus. The forage is the main attraction of the soybean as far as the deer are concerned. Large Lad soybeans are simply a hybrid genetically altered for maximum forage production verses bean production. The large lad beans produce more and larger leaves and stay greener longer than soybeans one would plant for commercial / harvesting purposes. I've had some of the plants reach almost five feet in height.
conservative
button buck

Postby FireCloud » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm

If you have very many deer in your area, they will chow down on small tender plants as fast as they emerge. Small plots don't stand a chance if the plants are tasty when young. It's a waste of time and money to plant a small food plot in tender, tasty plants. It will just get mowed down.

Deer don't seem to like corn leaves and stalks very much so you can usually get a stand of corn up and growing. But corn in small plots is going to get destroyed by much more than just the deer. Many animals love corn and all of them will show up to clean out your corn plot in competition with the deer. A larger plot will produce more than all the animals together can destroy.

For a small plot, you might create a couple of dog runs along the woodline and station a couple of eager deer dogs out there for a few days until the plots get established. Good luck!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 pm

I went today to check out the 2 plots. I intended to spray tommorow to kill the weeds, but I think it would be a waste of time. The deer are chowing down on the beans, but also the weeds and corn. I did not find a stalk of corn that had not had the top eaten off of it. No beans were over 6 inches tall and most were basically even with the height of the weeds. It looked like someone had mowed the plots. If this were fall I would be getting very excited to see as much browsing going on as there has been.

The beans have a decent stand on one plot and it is evident that they are sprouting new growth when they are bitten off. However, I don't think they would have any chance of survival without the weeds to supplement their diet. I think I will keep what little money I have in my pocket and not spend anymore on the plots until fall unless I see the beans take off. Then I would spray and fertilize again.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat