• Advertisement

Economical supplemental food plot

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Economical supplemental food plot

Postby conservative » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 pm

For anyone looking for a rather cheap summer food plot for deer that's easy to grow and low in maintenance and cost consider clay peas. This is one of two plots of peas that I planted on my place this year. They were planted about 4 weeks ago. Both spots are in very sandy ground which is heaven for these peas. This 1.5 acre plot cost a grand total of about $75 in seed and fertilizer. That's equivalent to about one bag of forage soybeans. I have soybeans and corn planted on my place but by far the most dependable and easiest to grow are the clay peas. The peas generally will outgrow most weed competition and will withstand normal deer pressure as well as dry weather. If you are lucky you can have the benefit of utilizing them during bow season as the peas will still be putting on new growth right up until the first frost.
conservative
button buck

Re: Economical supplemental food plot

Postby gtk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:02 pm

:ylsuper:

I agree.. Iron clad's are great.. I've always heard that joint vetch is good too and econmical.

There are two times of the year that deer actually "need" food plots.. That is late summer and late winter. Those two times of the year deer are really looking for something to eat, especially if the deer population is at/near/over carrying capacity in your particular area.. Something simple & easy like that, and that grows in the late summer, really helps!
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 am

Great looking food plot
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby j-bo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Dunno how you got the deer to not eat the young plants to get a stand like that.

Did you use anything? Milorganite, plot saver, electric fence?

Sure is pretty.
j-bo
4 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:52 pm

that looks good, makes me hungry too
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby 204 ruger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Iron clay peas have always been a go-to plot. You really don't have much work involved maintaining them once they are up. I have been planting them for 15+ yrs and have 5 acs in the ground urrently and will plant another 8-10 acs around the 4th of July.

Did have 34 deer in one 15 ac. plot one Oct 1st morning years ago, that really sold me on them!!!
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby j-bo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 pm

204 ruger wrote:Iron clay peas have always been a go-to plot. You really don't have much work involved maintaining them once they are up. I have been planting them for 15+ yrs and have 5 acs in the ground urrently and will plant another 8-10 acs around the 4th of July.

Did have 34 deer in one 15 ac. plot one Oct 1st morning years ago, that really sold me on them!!!

I agree.. the trick is.. getting them to the point that they are UP and not eaten on small plots, 1/4-1/2 acre.
j-bo
4 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat