• Advertisement

Beaver Wars - Round One Results

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Beaver Wars - Round One Results

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Moved my game camera to the beaver dam this afternoon and destroyed a larger section of their dam. They had repaired all the damage I did last weekend so I gave them more work to do and mounted the camera in a good spot to capture the action.

Here's how it looked when I left today. Should have photos of the critters to post soon, assuming they don't chew down the tree my camera is mounted to and drag it underwater. :D

- 206.jpg
Last edited by FireCloud on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Beaver Wars - Scouting 'Em Out

Postby STILLHUNTER » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Might need to get ya a stick of that dyno-miteare a backhoe! :W:
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Beavers are not too good at construction work. I just wade out into the creek and in fifteen minutes with a shovel can easily destroy a good section of their dam. However, I suspect it only takes the beavers about 15 minutes to build it back!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:14 am

you can lay a 6 inch pvc pipe in the dam when you dig it out like that.... let it stick into tthe water side about ten feet.....drill 1 inch holes in it on the water side and that will keep the water from gathering up........also when we bust a dam we will grab a cooler of our fav beverage and sit close to the dam after dark and wait for them to come repair and introduce them to a 12 guage....
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm

brewer03 wrote:you can lay a 6 inch pvc pipe in the dam when you dig it out like that.... let it stick into tthe water side about ten feet.....drill 1 inch holes in it on the water side and that will keep the water from gathering up........also when we bust a dam we will grab a cooler of our fav beverage and sit close to the dam after dark and wait for them to come repair and introduce them to a 12 guage....

Been there and done that... just listen for them chewing on wood and get ready, you have to be fast when the light comes on.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby FC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 am

BigRic wrote:
brewer03 wrote:you can lay a 6 inch pvc pipe in the dam when you dig it out like that.... let it stick into tthe water side about ten feet.....drill 1 inch holes in it on the water side and that will keep the water from gathering up........also when we bust a dam we will grab a cooler of our fav beverage and sit close to the dam after dark and wait for them to come repair and introduce them to a 12 guage....

Been there and done that... just listen for them chewing on wood and get ready, you have to be fast when the light comes on.

I was setup on a bend in a slough waiting for a buck to come by when a beaver shows up and starts making awhole lot of racket chewing right in front of me. I couldn't hear the buck walking towards me for the chewing noise. I did hear him grunt about 40 yards away right before dark. Beavers make alot of noise ...
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm

ROUND ONE: FireCloud 1; Beavers 1

After busting up the dam pretty well Sunday afternoon (score 1 point for me), I gave the beavers two nights to rebuild it. They appear to only have made a half way effort to even repair it at all. Guess they don't like to sweat in this hot, humid weather we are having. But they did at least slow down the water draining from the pond, so score 1 point for the beavers.

The game camera was off, due to the cheap batteries I bought on sale being too weak to keep it running, thus I got no photos of the beavers. And of course I failed to bring any replacement batteries with me today so I will have to go back tomorrow and replace the batteries. I broke the dam open again, reset the camera just for luck, and left. Here is a photo of the great hunter in action!

- 011.jpg

Round Two is coming up and their days are numbered. Saturday night is a full moon and I will be sitting on my paint bucket overlooking the dam while sipping on some 107 proof whiskey with plenty of ammo handy. I can't wait to get one of them in the crosshairs of my scope. I really enjoy night hunting anyway and do a lot of it for racoons, coyotes, and other varmits. It is amazing how easy it is to see and shoot at night once your eyes become accustomed to the dark. And on a full moon night, there will be plenty of light.

Don't bet on the beavers just yet!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Beaver Wars - Round One Results

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Im putting all my money on the skeeters! :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm

As you can see, Cutter bug spray allows you to walk around half naked in the woods with no problems from the pests. But I will be in full camo mesh netting for the beaver hunt. Will have bug spray and Thermocell too.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:01 am

FireCloud wrote:As you can see, Cutter bug spray allows you to walk around half naked in the woods with no problems from the pests. But I will be in full camo mesh netting for the beaver hunt. Will have bug spray and Thermocell too.

Yeah... about that. How about wearing a shirt next time? :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby FC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:29 am

ufgators68 wrote:
FireCloud wrote:As you can see, Cutter bug spray allows you to walk around half naked in the woods with no problems from the pests. But I will be in full camo mesh netting for the beaver hunt. Will have bug spray and Thermocell too.

Yeah... about that. How about wearing a shirt next time? :lol:

Not that it makes it any more acceptable , but I've seen worse ... much worse !
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby jv » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Hay hay hay hay we have women and children on here wear a shirt next time :stir:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 pm

I haven't heard any complaints from the women! :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby spurs73 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Looks like his gonna drop any day now :lol:
spurs73
6 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat