• Advertisement

Food plot prep

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Food plot prep

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 am

I am in the process of preparing a new food plot. I disked up the ground last weekend and this weekend I plan on spraying round up, spreading lime, and putting out fertilizer.

My question is what type of fertilizer should I put out. I am spreading fertilizer to prepare the seed bed (soil samples will come late so looking for a generic mixture).

Also what is the minmium amt of time to wait after putting out round up before you want to start putting out your seeds!
merlebo02
Spike

Re: Food plot prep

Postby FC » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:07 am

How much moisture did you notice in the soil last w/e ?
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 am

Very dry and dusty!!
merlebo02
Spike

Postby glenn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:47 am

I've always been told to wait at least 2 weeks after spraying Roundup before doing anything else with it like bush hogging, or discing.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby Yellow Lab » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Here is a step by step process of the way I prepare my plots:

#1 - Clip or Bushog
#2 - Wait 1 or 2 weeks and spray with glyphosate
#3 - Wait 2 weeks for grass and weeds to die, then disk fire lane around plot and burn.
#4 - Put out lime if needed.
#5 - You will have a very clean plot that will disk easily and then be ready to fertilze and plant the same day.
Yellow Lab
Spike

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:58 pm

i wouldn't put out much fertilizer until you decide what your going to plant.
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:26 pm

well we dont disk first....we do like yellow lab said....clip, wait, spray glyphosate,wait, then plow,disk, then broadcast fertilizer/seed...cover..then hope it rains..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm

we are planting biologics green plot plus which is brassicas, wheat, oat, and clover.

How long does it take lime to work?? I have heard it takes a year before it will take effect in the soil??

From what I understand there is no need to fertilize until you get your soil ph near 7.0
merlebo02
Spike

Postby huntall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:10 pm

pellet lime works quikly but powder lime like the farmers use take the following year to work.(or at least 6 months)
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 pm

huntall, what is quickly? Are we looking at days, wks, mo??
merlebo02
Spike

Postby huntall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Pellet lime will work for the planting that you are planting at the time.It works fast . Some people apply a couple weeks before planting and some apply at the same time as planting. (preferable a couple weeks in advance)...It only last for one season that is the only drawback with pellets..I have heard the powder last up to 5 years. I dont think I would fertilize yet . If I was going to do anything now lime would be the best thing. May be best to wait a little bit,but it is getting that time to start thinking about those plots.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Powedered lime, normally applied to fields from a buggy, is the way to go if you can get the equipment to your food plot to spread the lime. It is the cheapest form of lime, the most long lasting version, and overall the best option. However, it is not readily soluable and does in fact require at least six months to a year to affect the soil ph. Yes, you could apply lime, disk it into the soil, and plant immediately thereafter. However that lime application is NOT going to do anything to help whatever you plant during its first growing season.

There are not many "quick fixes" that are really good options when it comes to improving the soil. Building better soil takes time and effort and it is always an ongoing process. Plants remove nutrients from the soil (or add them!) and soil conditions change over time for various reasons. So there is no "one and done forever" solution to soil improvements.

If your soil needs lime based on a soil test and you need it to work for a food plot you will grow this fall, then pellet lime is probably the only workable solution. It is much costlier and will degrade sooner. Or if you simply cannot get equipment in to spread powedered lime, then you may have to use pellet lime. It may work fairly well, especially if your soil does not need a lot of lime, but is just not the best option.

If you have sufficient area for a food plot to be able to rotate and grow various crops, study what your soil needs and grow various cover crops in sections on your food plot that can be disked back into the soil to improve the soil. This will require leaving some sections fallow for a season and will take several years to make a difference. But amending the soil with organic materials will greatly help to enrich the soil and make it less necessary to purchase and apply commercial fertilizers and other soil aids.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat