• Advertisement

A ? on what to plant?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

A ? on what to plant?

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm

I realize that it is late to be starting a food plot but that is the way my year has been. Well I finally got a dozer over here to push out a plot. It looks good so what other than rye grass can I plant this late for it to come up.
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Re: A ? on what to plant?

Postby lugnutzz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 pm

turnips maybe, wheat, just plant it heavy..
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 pm

If you are wanting to shoot deer in that plot this season, one sure fire food plot crop to plant this late in your zone is corn. I recommend planting using the "no till" method and broadcasting common shelled corn at double or triple the normal crop planting rate. Do not till under, rake soil over the corn, cultipack, or do anything other than broadcast it on open ground.

Using this method, germination may be extremely poor and you may have to repeat the planting every so often during the remainder of deer season. However you should attract a few deer to the plot. :D

Seriously, almost nothing else is likely to germinate and grow well at this late date in your zone. If you want to try, however, I would time the planting when there is ample moisture in the ground and ahead of some predicted above freezing nights and warmer days, if any occur. Its ok to plant on a cold day because germination will take 3 to 7 days or so for anything you plant. What you want is warmer weather to occur at the time of germination and for a few days afterwards.

Lime and fertilize at the time you plant as needed. Without both, you may never get any growth to speak of. Plant seeds separately at the appropriate depths and lightly firm the soil after planting.

What to plant? I would suggest trying Winter Wheat, Elbon Rye, and Purple Top Turnips. They are the most cold hardy plants that deer prefer and are the most likely to germinate and at least grow a little. If you want to throw in a SMALL quantity of rye grass seeds to, as a cover crop, that is ok.

You might want to consider just applying the right amount of lime, disking well, and allowing the plot to lie fallow until it is time for very early spring planting, probably around mid Feb. in your area. That will allow the plot to be in good shape for a nice spring and summer crop suitable for the soil and location, perhaps one of the varieties of clover mixed with some spring wheat for an early green up.

Good luck.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:58 pm

like firecloud says
not much this late in the year
work for a nice early plot
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1