• Advertisement

want to take a closer look

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

want to take a closer look

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:14 am

I have always used a 3x9x40 scope, before next season I am buying a new scope for my T/C encore. I am looking at more powerful scopes, like 3.5x10x50. There are alot of brands, I have looked at Burris, Leopold, Zeiss, and Nikon, they all range from 4-600$. I figure I will keep it forever and if I spend a little extra its worth it. What would you buy?
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby mt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:50 am

Go with the European brands. Much better optics. I have two German made scopes that let me see way beyond the times any of my Leupold scopes will.
mt
10 Point

Postby leepurvis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:55 am

Nikon Monarch

If you really want to confuse yourself, go over to graybeardoutdoors.com and go down their forums to the optics discussion.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby nsutton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 am

I second the Nikon Monarch. I have 5 Nikon scopes, the last one being a Monarch and I love it.
nsutton
10 Point

Postby bt58 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:09 am

I've got the Monarch 3.5-10x50 and it is a great scope.
bt58
12 Point

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 am

I think I have it narrowed down to monarch or a leopold VX-III. I have read many reviews on both scopes, they both get good reviews. The only difference I see is the leopold is supposed to draw more light. The leopold has a lifetime warranty, does the nikon?
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby bt58 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Yes the Nikon does have a full time warranty.

Go look through both scopes is my advice.

IMO The Nikon is clearer....the objects you are looking at are clearer. The Leupold is quite a bit more too isn't it.
bt58
12 Point

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:10 pm

I haven't shopped for the best price, I don't want that to be a factor in what I buy. I did do a quick price check online, I think its about $150 difference. I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to, I just want a good quality scope that will give the best performance for the dollar. I think both of these are good scopes, I just can't decide. It would be alot easier if one of them had a monster buck locator.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby iveygun3 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:19 pm

the monarch is clearer and i don't think their is any difference in the amt. of light draw to tell. eyerelief is about 4 on both as well. I like the nikon for what it worth and the dollar didn't bother my judgement.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby Roebuck » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:40 am

Some of the scopes that are mentioned, we don't see over here but you did mention Zeiss. These are top quality and will last you the lifetime you mention. I don't know what Swarovski cost in the U.S. They are expensive here but I think they are worth every penny. Their low light performance cannot be beaten. However, it is their warranty policy that converted me to Swarovski from Zeiss. I bought a second hand 8 x 50 Swarovski from a local dealer for 300 Pounds. I could not get it zeroed so I sent it back to Swarovski UK at a cost of five pounds, explaining that I bought the scope second hand, did not know its history and that I could not get it zeroed. I also told them that I had dropped it on to a concrete floor, making a little ding on the objective housing. It came back from Austria ten days later by UPS. The invoice said No Charge. It zeroed perfectly and the little ding on the objective had been removed. A company that stands so strongly behind their product gets my vote every time. If they are competitive in the U.S., they are worth a look.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby Part Time Hunter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:28 am

Roebuck, I quickly checked the prices and found that Swarovski would cost alot more than the other optics I have looked at. I plan to compare several scopes side by side before I buy, if I can see that much difference I will go with it. I have found that there are alot of good scopes out there and that most hunters are satisfied with whatever they own, providing they have an upper end scope. Most of the warranties are about the same.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:42 am

Asking opinions on a message board about optics is not a good way to find out what you want. Wayyyyy too many opinions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That said, I'm partial to the Burris scopes myself and have looked through Nikons and Leupolds of the same price range and couldn't really tell a difference. I suggest you find a gun shop or bass pro or somewhere similar and look through each of the ones in question and then go with what you like the best.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Part Time Hunter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Thats what I figure I will do. I think they are all so close in quality that it won't make much difference which one I buy. I have heard alot of good things about Burris, and I think they are the lowest priced of the scopes I have shopped.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby a10acfan1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:45 pm

I had a Leupold Vari X II on my 270 before it was stolen. My new one has the Nikon Monarch on it. The Nikon is more clearer IMO. Burris makes a good scope, more light gathering than the Nikon and Leupold. I think there warranty is limited, not lifetime. Thats why I got the Nikon.
a10acfan1
4 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:54 pm

a10acfan1 wrote:I had a Leupold Vari X II on my 270 before it was stolen. My new one has the Nikon Monarch on it. The Nikon is more clearer IMO. Burris makes a good scope, more light gathering than the Nikon and Leupold. I think there warranty is limited, not lifetime. Thats why I got the Nikon.

Burris has a "Forever" warranty, even if you aren't the original owner, or I wouldn't have bought the one I did. 8)
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby a10acfan1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm

Gator...my bad....was thinking of a pair of binocs I looked at during Christmas. My next scope may be a Burris then. They were bright.
a10acfan1
4 Point

Return to Guns & Ammo