• Advertisement

Handgun question

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Handgun question

Postby leepurvis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:12 am

OK, got the itch for a new plaything. I currently don't have a handgun and want something with some power. I've about decided on a Ruger GP100 .357 and would like to know if anyone's got experience with these. If you own something else, what are your likes/dislikes. I'll be using it mostly at the range.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby nsutton » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 am

For a gun that I'm gonna do a lot of shooting with, can't beat a glock in my opinion. Shoots great, simple to clean, durable, etc.
nsutton
10 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:23 am

I just got a Springfield XD-40 and love it.. I got it for two reasons over the glock..

1. I like the "feel" better
and
2. I like the way you have to have your hand on the grips as well as the trigger for it to shoot.

Go ahead and just get one of those special edition Walther's :)
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:39 am

Lee, I had a GP 100 and regret the day that I sold it. That was a fine wheelgun. Mine was very accurate and never had any trouble. It was the satin stainless...with rosewood inserts in the grips. I sold mine to buy a sig sauer in .40 S&W. I couldn't hit squat with that Sig so I sold that high $ gun and have a little Rossi .38 now that is a good all-around gun.

As far as the fun of shooting the Sig was the best to me. You could unload 10 shots in a small amount of time, but reliability and accuracy go to the GP 100 hands down.
bt58
12 Point

Postby leepurvis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 pm

gtk wrote:Go ahead and just get one of those special edition Walther's :)

Looked at a Walther a few years back when the DU Great Outdoors Festival was going on. Nice gun but $$$$ (actually might need to add a few more). :)

I dropped my rifle off at the gun shop the other day to have the trigger adjusted and he had a SS GP 100. I think I know how most women feel about shoes now. It called to me. Plus, I've always liked the big revolvers. I managed to make it out the door without purchasing it , but now I gotta go back and pick up my rifle when its done....the temptation will be great.

Oh well, what would life be without temptations?...and of course if I get this, there'll probably have to be an auto in the near future. :twisted:
Last edited by leepurvis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm

bt58 wrote:Lee, I had a GP 100 and regret the day that I sold it. That was a fine wheelgun. Mine was very accurate and never had any trouble. It was the satin stainless...with rosewood inserts in the grips.....

You could unload 10 shots in a small amount of time, but reliability and accuracy go to the GP 100 hands down.

Britt, is there a big difference between the satin stainless and the regular stainless?
Lee

leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby bt58 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Regular Stainless:

Satin:

Not too much difference between the two. I liked the satin because it was different than most.
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:28 pm

The satin is a little less shiny isn't it?
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby leepurvis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 pm

looks like a very subtle difference, but I think I like the satin finish better.
Lee

leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby bt58 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:35 pm

ufgators68 wrote:The satin is a little less shiny isn't it?

That's right it's like a matte finish. That's the only difference.
bt58
12 Point

Postby a10acfan1 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:25 pm

greg.....I'm also looking real hard at the springfield XD in either 9mm or .40. Is yours the 4" barrel or sub-compact? Where did you get yours and how much if you don't mid me asking? Mmore importantly how do you like it?
a10acfan1
4 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:18 am

a10acfan1, i got mine at sportsman warehouse in southaven. I think I paid about $480 for it. Guns&Ammo has it a little cheaper, but sportsman warehouse has been real good to our Church with donations to our childrens fishing rodeo, so I just bought it there. Its not the subcompact .40 pistol, thats why I was looking for something else for "carry". Do I like it? I love it, but I don't have anything else to judge it by. Its fun to shoot, and feels better in my hand than the glock did.
gtk
Admin

Return to Guns & Ammo