• Advertisement

Possible trade...

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Possible trade...

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:04 am

Just looking for some opinions on what I'm thinking about doing. I've got a Steyr Prohunter 25-06 w/ a Simmons (blech) Whitetail Expedition scope, Leupold rings and base that I'm thinking of trading for an AR-15 type rifle or maybe a Ruger Mini 14. I know that for certain brands and models I'd have to kick in a little extra money on the AR-15 rifle but I'd probably be able to make a little money on the Ruger and be able to buy some accessories for it.

I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do? I have zero experience with either of the rifles and don't know which would be better for shooting beavers, coyotes and what not. I'm looking for something short and semi automatic that I can get out the truck window pretty quickly. :lol: :lol:

I'm going to be looking through Guns America and a few other online places today to see what kind of prices I'm looking at.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby leepurvis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:43 am

personal opinion is that I would take the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle due to price, but I think the AR-15 is more accurate out of the box. How far are you wanting to shoot?
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:49 pm

leepurvis wrote:personal opinion is that I would take the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle due to price, but I think the AR-15 is more accurate out of the box. How far are you wanting to shoot?

Probably about 200 yards... max. Anything else and I'll get my Savage 112BVSS 25-06. :twisted:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby leepurvis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I was reading on graybeard outdoors (or somewhere) that the Ruger has a 1 in 9 twist while the AR has a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8. I have also heard that some folks didn't like the magazine release on the Ruger either.

Best course of action may be to go to a gun store and see which fits you best. Lots of accessories out there for both guns so customizing either one wouldn't be a problem.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:33 pm

leepurvis wrote:I was reading on graybeard outdoors (or somewhere) that the Ruger has a 1 in 9 twist while the AR has a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8. I have also heard that some folks didn't like the magazine release on the Ruger either.

Best course of action may be to go to a gun store and see which fits you best. Lots of accessories out there for both guns so customizing either one wouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I'll be test driving one before I do any buying...lol. And the folks over at Greybeard's are a little fanatical about their stuff, I'm not nearly as ticky when it comes to magazine releases and such. Now if it's just downright difficult, no I won't be pleased but I'll live with it.

I think I'm pretty set on the Mini 14, I don't feel like spending the extra I'd have to kick in for the AR-15, even though I would love to have it. That'll be a project a little farther down the road. :D

I've run across a Bi-Centennial edition of the Mini 14 that a friend of mine is supposed to be getting the info on for me. The guy who has it is a close friend of his and he's a rifle collector. If all goes well, I might have a Mini 14 and few bucks in my pocket by next week. 8)
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Rajun cajun » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm

The mini 14 is a sweet guns bro.........any you can optimize and customize so easily!

I think you will be happy with it.

I prefer the AR-15 for the ballance and weight factor.

But you can not go wrong with anything RUGER makes.

Good luck and post some pics!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Guns & Ammo