• Advertisement

Hornady is suspending some of their line of ammo

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Hornady is suspending some of their line of ammo

Postby huntall » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Hornady Makes Plans to Increase Production Volume

For over half a year, Hornady Manufacturing, along with the rest of the shooting sports industry, has experienced an unbelievable spike in demand. This dramatic increase in demand is unprecedented. As stated earlier this year in our Product Availability FAQ we have been continuously growing for a number of years; adding people, equipment and manufacturing space as rapidly as we can. We are producing and shipping product at record levels and are continually looking to grow and improve our ability to fulfill orders. But the current state of the industry is such that our increase in shipments this year is overshadowed by a 200% increase in demand.

One area that we have identified that will enable us to increase production, is the minimization of machinery downtime. The largest period of downtime our machines experience is during change over and retooling to convert a machine from manufacturing one bullet or cartridge to another. Under normal market conditions, we can keep the supply chain full by making popular items on a regular basis and keeping specialty or less-used products on a seasonal basis. However, with demand at record levels, it has become difficult to justify shutting down a machine to change it over to produce a product of less demand. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending some items in order to focus our efforts on the most popular and highest demand products and ship more total product.

We realize that many of the suspended items are going to disappoint some of our customers. We have painstakingly reviewed our order status and order history and unfortunately had to make some tough decisions. It wasn't easy, but we know that we will do a better job of servicing the industry as a whole by focusing on the items of highest demand.

We are not alone; this is effectively already happening throughout our industry, but is accomplished through selective manufacture with no notification to the industry. We are simply making every effort to be up-front about our plans to maximize production.

Again, this is only temporary. This is not a permanent suspension. We will continue to push as hard as we can to meet the demand of our industry and will produce our full catalog of items as soon as we can. Please know that nobody wants to produce more and get our product to into your hands more than we do.

And lastly, we feel compelled to address some of the conspiracy theories that we have seen posted. NO, this is not a conspiracy effort to shape the industry, nor is it controlled by the government. We are simply being forthright about our manufacturing plans and our efforts to supply MORE product to the very hungry shooting sports industry.

We truly appreciate your patience during this period of time. Thank you for your understanding.
The Team at Horn

Steve Hornady Explains Increased Production Plans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p2pl3ZsH8s

Here is a link of the products to be suspended
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqrurqs23x9zz ... 202013.pdf
Last edited by huntall on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Hornady is suspending some of their line of ammo

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Did they mention what product line they were suspending?
gtk
Admin

Postby huntall » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Yep...it's pages and pages of listed products in that last link above.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Linky no worky..???
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Should be working now
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 am

In the video, he said with current orders/demands, it would be 2 YEARS before they caught up :shock:
gtk
Admin

Postby leepurvis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 am

at least they are warning people in advance. too many companies nowadays would just quit making the items and string the customer along.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

I can't believe they are dropping that many bullets.
I would have to think that they will loose a lot of devoted customers that will change brands to find what they are looking for.My favorite deer round is no longer being made by them. I may end up changing over to a cheaper brand like Remington or Winchester
since I already have to find another round for my gun, and might as well save a few dollars if I can find one that shoots good for my 300.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 am

My brother shoots hornady in every gun he owns and is also considering changing brands to find what he needs.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am

the good news is, it is not permanent .

to me it looks like they are mainly trying to supply the main reloading components (9mm/40/etc)

I'm surprised to see all the 223 stuff on the dropped list
gtk
Admin

Return to Guns & Ammo