• Advertisement

Mini 14...

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Mini 14...

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:56 am

I might have made a mistake trading for this thing. I went to set the scope yesterday, shot up a box and a half of ammo and never did get it set at 100 yards. I'm hoping that it's just the scope, I noticed I was having to turn it a lot to get it to move an inch at 25 yards. I know you have to move it a lot to begin with at that distance but this was wayyyyy more than usual. I took off the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 that was on it and replaced it with the Prostaff from my 45-70. Hopefully this is all that's wrong with it. My wife is picking up some more ammo for me as I type this and I'm going to try again this evening. :? :?

If this doesn't work I'm either going to raise some serious hell to the guy I traded with or I'm just going to sell it to the first sucker that comes along. :x :x
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:15 am

Becuase I've "Been there, done that" I have to ask...

Were your mounts tight ??? :D

I'd search thru or ask on some of your favorite reloading sites, what a good ammo is to shoot thru those guns... Warrens .243 is particular about what grain bullet goes thru it.. So was my .45-70.
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:22 am

gtk wrote:Becuase I've "Been there, done that" I have to ask...

Were your mounts tight ??? :D

I'd search thru or ask on some of your favorite reloading sites, what a good ammo is to shoot thru those guns... Warrens .243 is particular about what grain bullet goes thru it.. So was my .45-70.

Yup, they're built in to the rifle, no way for them to be loose. The rings were tight also. :lol: :lol:

I'm going to go on and blame it on the scope, the first few rounds I shot through it, the holes were cut... at 25 yards. Almost a perfect clover. Once I finally got it moved to the center of the target, I couldn't hit the freaking paper with it. The paper was 3' wide by about 18" tall, I had one of those shoot n see targets stuck to that. I even strapped it down in a rest and shot it. Couldn't hit the target but I did kill a snake at about 50 yards with it. I was so "ill" yesterday I could've chewed up nails and spit out quarters. :lol: :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby iveygun3 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:32 pm

stop wasting ammo and get a bore sight laser. probably loose or bent mount. if extremely high, swap mounts front to back. I have a mini-14 and use only the peep sight for quickness. just new ideas or if all else fails go to GlockTalk.Com and ask under other guns category. That sight is always loaded with people and there from all around, so good info to be had. .02
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:32 am

iveygun3 wrote:stop wasting ammo and get a bore sight laser. probably loose or bent mount. if extremely high, swap mounts front to back. I have a mini-14 and use only the peep sight for quickness. just new ideas or if all else fails go to GlockTalk.Com and ask under other guns category. That sight is always loaded with people and there from all around, so good info to be had. .02

I did use a laser bore sighter. :lol: It was apparently the scope, I swapped the Nikon Prostaff that was on it for the Prostaff that was on my 45-70 and I put 3 shots you could cover with a half dollar at 100 yards. I'm going to see if Nikon will fix/replace it under warranty.

I shot it twice at 25 yards to make sure the I got the bore sighting close and then moved to 100 yards, shot 3 times and then adjusted the scope. Let it cool off for about 30 minutes and shot 3 more time, she was dead on this time.

Now all I need to do is get a folding stock, the muzzle break (mainly for looks) and a few other odd and end pieces. 8)
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby iveygun3 » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 pm

glad to know you got-er fixed, sure would hate to be missin a yote.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:21 pm

iveygun3 wrote:glad to know you got-er fixed, sure would hate to be missin a yote.

I haven't seen one since turkey season closed. :x :x
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Return to Guns & Ammo