• Advertisement

Hard to Believe

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Hard to Believe

Postby stickers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Last night I was going thru my hunting closet and ran across the first inline muzzleloader I ever purchased I think in 1990. It is a Knight MK85 stainless. At first I thought I would chunk it but something told me not to, I guess the hoarder in me. So I proceeded to break it down and inspect the barrel and clean it up a little bit. And to my surprise I guess Knight installed Timney triggers on their muzzleloaders back then. I always knew and felt that gun had a great trigger straight from factory. Then I determined instantly I cant chunk a muzzleloader that has a timney trigger. My newer night has a scope on it so I might just get this one running again with just iron sights and one day be able to kill an elk with it on muzzleloader season in CO.
stickers
Non-Typical

Re: Hard to Believe

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm

stickers wrote: I might just get this one running again with just iron sights and one day be able to kill an elk with it on muzzleloader season in CO.

that's what i was going to suggest 8)

i still have my first muzzleloader.. it was a hawkin kit my dad bought me back in the 80's.. I finished it the night before season, so I ended up painting the barrel instead of bluing it , and after all those years, i still havne't found the time to blue it.
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:44 am

gtk wrote:
stickers wrote: I might just get this one running again with just iron sights and one day be able to kill an elk with it on muzzleloader season in CO.

that's what i was going to suggest 8)

i still have my first muzzleloader.. it was a hawkin kit my dad bought me back in the 80's.. I finished it the night before season, so I ended up painting the barrel instead of bluing it , and after all those years, i still havne't found the time to blue it.

I wish I still had my traditional muzzleloader that I had before Knight came out with inline . The last time I used it I remember getting out of the truck and loading it only to realize that I never unloaded it before. You guessed it. Double loaded with no bullet puller, ha. I sure wish you could use Sabots in CO . I am at a loss of what to use since all I ever shot was Barnes and have heard that the Powerbelts dont do well on elk at all.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby Curlyjack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:10 pm

I still have my Hawkins, I can't get rid of anything either. I still will take it out and shoot it every now and then.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby mt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

I still have my MK85 I bought back in 1985. Blued with wood stock. I put an oil finish on the stock that really brought out the grain of the wood. The Timney trigger is SWEET!
mt
10 Point

Postby stickers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am

mt wrote:I still have my MK85 I bought back in 1985. Blued with wood stock. I put an oil finish on the stock that really brought out the grain of the wood. The Timney trigger is SWEET!

Would you happen to remember the max powder load of Pyrodex for MK85 ? I know it was less than 150g but I cant seem to remember. I always used 90g but I know max has got to be above that.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby mt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am

I'm not sure. I always used 90 too.
mt
10 Point

Return to Guns & Ammo