• Advertisement

Buffalo Classic

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Buffalo Classic

Postby terry08 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I purchased a Buffalo Classic prior to season, with plans to use it all season. The rifle shoots fine and killed three bucks and two does the first month. My problem is the 325 gr. lever evo.
One doe shot in front shoulders went straight down, no damage to meat at all entrance wound size of bullet same at exit.
Five point buck neck shot straight down no damage entrance and exit same as above. Eight point shot front shoulder entrance & exit the same had to trail him and shoot in the neck to finish. Next big eight shot behind front shoulders had to trail 300yds and finish him. same with next doe. Last doe shot at 70yds heart shot good blood trailed one and a half miles only to loose her. I am not used to wounding and chasing deer. I have read many posts on mdwfp concerning pros and cons of this round. As I said it shoots great, just no damage at impact or exit. I have not ruined one piece of meat. Have a friend that his exits leaving a hole the size of a coffee can. I just can't beleive it can be the rifle. Why are they not expanding, shots have ranged fro 40 to 80 yds. Any suggestions and anyone else having this problem.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Buffalo Classic

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

i shoot 405gr Buffalo Bore solids in mine and they tear up stuff bad. I think I have a pic in photo album of a doe shot with one and entry would fit a beer bottle sideways. lots of energy. jbullard1 has done a lot of loads and bullets if I remember correctly, he may have some suggestions. Love my Buffalo Classic though.
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby RT8 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 pm

terry08 wrote:...Last doe shot at 70yds heart shot good blood trailed one and a half miles only to loose her...

how do you know it was a heart shot if you lost the deer?

I think Hornady must have made a bad batch of the Leverrevolution ammo...but I have no proof of that other than listening to anecdotle evidence from here and mdwfp
Priapism, its not for quitters.
RT8
8 Point

Postby mikybigbuck » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 pm

I killed 5 deer with my 45-70 handi rifle, this season...Where I hunt, there are alot of cane and riverbottom thickets, and that big bullet shoots right through it..I'm unfamiliar with the Buffalo Classic..Is it that long barrelled H&R handi rifle?? I'm sold on the 325 Hornady bullet..4 of the deer I shot went straight down, with severe collateral damage...all hit in the shoulder area...One of the bucks I shot was running away from me..I shot him in the butt, at 50 yards...The bullet entered right below his anus, and exited between the shoulder blade and brisket...he went 50 yards, full of adrenaline, before he fell...he lost, what looked to be, a gallon of blood in the process...I have had no problem with penetration or brush busting, and it will knock a hole in them...I give the shell 5 stars.... :thumbsup:
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm

iveygun3 wrote:i shoot 405gr Buffalo Bore solids in mine and they tear up stuff bad. I think I have a pic in photo album of a doe shot with one and entry would fit a beer bottle sideways. lots of energy. jbullard1 has done a lot of loads and bullets if I remember correctly, he may have some suggestions. Love my Buffalo Classic though.

I've done a lot of experimenting with loads for the 45/70
I have 2 loads I use
#1 is a Remington 300 gr hollowpoint bullet and IMR4895 powder, 5 shots and 5 dead deer, 3 at ranges over 160 yards, exit wound was at least softball size and the two that didn't drop in their tracks went less than 40 yards with a blood trail you could see in the dark
#2 is a Hornady 405 gr flat point and IMR 4895 I use hog hunting that will full length penetrate a wild feral hog weighing 275 pounds bullet entered in the right front shoulder and exited the left ham, exit wound in the lower ham the size of a baseball, hog only kicked and quivered.
This is from the 22 inch barrel Handi Rifle and will rock your world in this light rifle :smash:

I can't comment on the leverolution as I have never fired a factory load in my rifle
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby terry08 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 am

RT8, I am just gussing that due to scope placement I hit the heart, although the blood was a pink foamy color as a lung shot maybe. This loss could have been caused by me. I am not bashing the round as I have bought two boxes this year, I can drive nails with it so I have no problem with that, just no collateral damage. I have been told that Hornady may make the round in a smaller size bullet would love to see that.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby Little Yazoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:16 am

Have you considered trying the remington sp's in the green and yellow box? They don't have the velocity but they hit very hard and the sp's expantion is always good. Then again you might try to just start shooting them in the head and be done with it. If they keep running off when you do that THEN you got problems.
Little Yazoo
button buck

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 am

I've only killed one myself, with the lever evolution, but I was not disappointed at all.. All the deer I've seen other shoot with them, have huge holes.. But, I've read about all the unhappy customers too over on mdwfp.com
gtk
Admin

Return to Guns & Ammo