• Advertisement

Whisker Biscuit & other questions

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Whisker Biscuit & other questions

Postby gtk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:07 am

I have not bow hunted in 5-6 years, but I plan on getting it out this year and slinging a few arrows. Couple of questions:

Should I have a new string put on the bow becuase its been put up so long ? Its been stored flat in a case, inside the house, so heat has not affected it.

I bought a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest last year (cant remember exactly why) and I'm thinking of replacing the rest thats on my bow, which I think is a TM hunter rest. Any pro's/con's of the whisker biscuit ? I shoot carbon arrows with feathers if that matters.

And finally, whats your favorite broadhead & what grain is it?
gtk
Admin

Re: Whisker Biscuit & other questions

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:45 pm

gtk wrote:I have not bow hunted in 5-6 years, but I plan on getting it out this year and slinging a few arrows. Couple of questions:

Should I have a new string put on the bow becuase its been put up so long ? Its been stored flat in a case, inside the house, so heat has not affected it.

I bought a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest last year (cant remember exactly why) and I'm thinking of replacing the rest thats on my bow, which I think is a TM hunter rest. Any pro's/con's of the whisker biscuit ? I shoot carbon arrows with feathers if that matters.

And finally, whats your favorite broadhead & what grain is it?

I'd have the string checked out but I don't see why you couldn't use it if it was fine when stored. The only complaint I had about the Whisker Biscuit rest is it eats up the plastic fletchings, I don't know how feathers would react. The new biscuits were supposed to address that issue but I have no experience with the new ones. I went to a drop away when I started having to replace my fletchings every week because I shoot so freaking much. :oops: :oops:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby teacher » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:19 am

I can't wait to see how many different answers you get about the broadheads! I will have three different ones on arrows in my quiver this year just to try to answer this question for myself. I killed deer last year with the Grim Reaper mechanicals. They flew great and left a big hole. Deer went 30 yards. I bought some of the new short ferrell Muzzy 4 blades this year and have been shooting them and they fly great. I also have been shooting some of the regular Muzzy 3 blades that I had given up on because I couldn't get them to group. Made some changes to the bow set up and now I can't tell the difference in them and my field tips, but that is true of all three heads I mentioned. By the way all are 100 grain.
Score one for the little guy!
teacher
8 Point

Postby bowhunter73 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 pm

I would have that string checked out for safetys sake. The last thing you want is to be @ full draw when it breaks. Even though it has been inside and stored it may have dry rotted. Better safe than Sorry. I had one break on me before. Not very pleasant. As for the Bicuit. I have never used one on my setup, but I have shot from them on others rigs. They do like to eat up Vanes but they work great with feathers. They hold the arrow in place to reduce the dreaded full draw fall.lol They are fine with feathers. I use a shaky hunter drop away and I love it. Now to broadheads: I use NAP 100gr Shockwaves for longer shots on med. deer. I use 125gr Muzzy Bonecrushers for Big Bucks, Bear, or Large Game. I also have been known to use NAP 125 gr Thunderheads. Bottom line is you just have to find what works best for you. Try some out and see what feels comfortable to you. Good luck and let me know if you need any help. :)
bowhunter73
button buck

Postby gtk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Welcome bowhunter. thx for coming by.

i've heard horror stories from people who have had strings that broke :)

On your list of broadheads, are any of them expandable ?
gtk
Admin

Postby PatriotDually » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am

I dont care for the wisker biscuit as stated it burns up veins and will eat up feathers for sure, and if you have that much friction it is gonna hurt your speed as well. But if you have to shoot the wisker biscuit you should refletch with blazer 2 inch veins, they will not burn and will reduce friction. As far as broadheads i really need to know what kind of bow, weight, draw length, and speed your shooting to know what size expandable you could shoot if any at all. If your not interested in expandables at all and want a fix blade i would def go with the G5 Montec. And yes get your string checked out. Hope this helps, if you need any more help with bows let me know, it is my passion lol.
06 Bowtech Tribute
Set at 71lbs 29" draw
Maxima Hunter 350's
Spitfire Mechanicals
QAD Drop Away
301fps / 81lbs of KE
PatriotDually
4 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:49 am

Ya'll have me thinking, I better leave that TM hunter rest on there..

Patriot... I would probably rather shoot expandable. Thats what I have now. I think they are Wasps's or NAP's. I cant remember its been so long..

Thx for the help/suggestions.
gtk
Admin

Postby bowhunter73 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 am

The shockwaves I talked about are expandables. They also make one called a spitfire. They both can get the job done. Good Luck! :D
bowhunter73
button buck

Postby gtk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:13 am

SPitfire... thats the expandable I have now! They need sharpening really bad though..
gtk
Admin

Postby grantsutton » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 pm

muzzy 125 grain i am a rookie bowhunter just bought my first bow and thinking about buying a whisker biscuit mainly for afety because of my inexperience should i go ahead and buy one or what?
grantsutton
button buck

Postby bt58 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:47 am

Grant, this was my first year to really bow hunt much and I'm shooting one, I think that the Biscuit is the way to go. The arrow won't fall off of the rest. The little velocity that you are giving up is insignificant.
bt58
12 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:32 am

Bisquit is what I like also. nothing worse than arrow falling off rest. go for it
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby grantsutton » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:11 pm

thanks guys i think ill have to give it a try after this next primitive weapon season
grantsutton
button buck

Return to Guns & Ammo