• Advertisement

Fair market value of a hunting lease???

Got an opening in a club ? Looking for a club ? Know of a lease ? Put it here.

Fair market value of a hunting lease???

Postby Babacat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Hey Folks,

I need a little help with the fair market value of a hunting lease per acre in Webster County (about 20 miles north of Starkville).

Here's the breakdown on the land = 382 acres.

-133 acres bottom land in cultivation (presently corn) with adjacent creek
-50 acres bottom land (mainly mature hardwoods but some pine mixed in)
-100 acres upland woods (about 65-70% mature hardwoods with the rest pine)
-90 acres of four year old pine plantation (thicket)
-rest of acreage is two home places

Other:

This land has never been leased before and is surrounded by other leases
Plenty of deer (no known trophies) and various small game, few turkeys, but no ducks and no hogs
Access by two asphalt roads
Available fields for green plots (about 4 acres)
Site available for movable hunting trailer/camp but presently no water/sewage

Weyerhauser pine land in Webster County and surrounding areas leases for $7.00 to about $11.00 per acre; however, this lease has considerable hardwoods.

Any idea what a fair market lease price would be???

Thanks,

Baba
Babacat
button buck

Re: Fair market value of a hunting lease???

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Hard to say but I know people paying up to $25 an acre. Hate to put it like this but it's true , if you don't want to lease someone else will regardless of price. Is this land with a paper company or private owner leasing? I'm paying about $10 an acre for 80 acres of swamp land just so no one else leases it and it gives me a place to short some hogs.
Lease prices have risen in the past couple years so there's not really an "average" price. Maybe someone would know better though.
If it were me I'd be willing to offer $12-15 per acre if I wanted it.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:33 am

i think we are paying about $17 an acre when its all said & done, and we have a good cabin with showers.
gtk
Admin

Postby triple_duece » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Fair market value is the price someone is willing to pay for said property. If it's a price you think is worth it's a fair market price.

I know places that are up to 50$ an acre. Not that I would pay that or could. My old place before I bought a small piece was 20$ an acre and had plenty of deer with a few good bucks.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:05 am

Wow,$50 would be an insane amount to pay for any property no matter how many deer is on it. I'd rather have my own place and see fewer deer than pay a high price like that. Personally I wouldn't pay over $15-20 an acre for any piece of land.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm

buckcrazy wrote:Wow,$50 would be an insane amount to pay for any property no matter how many deer is on it. I'd rather have my own place and see fewer deer than pay a high price like that. Personally I wouldn't pay over $15-20 an acre for any piece of land.

St francisville, la you can pay that price.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 am

Oh I'm sure it is, St Francisville land lease prices are high as a giraffes rear end. When I was looking at land I looked at a piece that was 185 acres and was not on the market yet. The agent wanted me come see it so I did and after riding around the property he told he he was listing it at $3650 an acre. No house or improvements whatsoever! I could have knocked him out for dragging me out there when I told him before what my price range was The land was nice but not even what I was really looking for.That's way out of my ballpark. The land I bought was less than half that price.
Land lease prices vary so much depending on location that its hard to give a "fair" price to pay for a lease these days.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby jv » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 am

Most of the deer hunting land we lease is in the $10 to $15 range but have some that we give $40 per acre. We do own most of our duck hunting land but lord forbid if your looking for land to duck hunt on and a duck has flown over it in the past five years the price will double.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am

We just leased 1200 acres south of Oxford for $7/ac. Not any big deer but a lot of deer and turkey hunting is good. I would imagine a smaller place would go for more per acre.
stickers
10 Point

Return to Clubs & Leases