• Advertisement

ice brings critters

Trailcam pics, questions, and good links

ice brings critters

Postby sidog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Animals crave corn when it gets cold I guess? Ruts over here and it's cold. Today it was 23 for the high and it got down to 15 last night.
Attachments
MFDC2114.JPG
MFDC2107.JPG
MFDC2003.JPG
sidog
Non-Typical

Re: ice brings critters

Postby sidog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

more critters
Attachments
MFDC2135.JPG
MFDC2130.JPG
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Good pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtk
Admin

Postby dustygoodson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:03 pm

:ylsuper:
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:43 am

:)
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby ChemEng » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:08 pm

Last Buck is in very nice condition...I'd say 4 1/2 just from that pic.
ChemEng
button buck

Postby sidog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 pm

Yea ChemEng I had some pretty nice bucks show up this year and a few 2 1/2 year old deer that were showing good potential but I only took one buck this year and he was the only mature deer I saw on the stand. My wife took a cull buck and we killed 4 Does between us so our freezer looks pretty good. Come on turkey season!
Attachments
euro8-22013.jpg
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby ChemEng » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Looking again he looks more like a 3 1/2...nice muscling in his front shoulders. Nice big deer in Texas....My area is too sandy to grow enough nutritious food for them to get big bone mass. However, I spoke to my local wildlife biologist in charge of the QDM and two bucks were killed last week in my county, (Jackson), that should go on the books at around 160", which is big for here, they were killed within a few miles from each other. How old was the Buck you took?
ChemEng
button buck

Postby sidog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:49 am

I know about the deer in Jackson Co. I was born and raised there. I've killed a bunch of deer in south MS. and AL. All my family is still in that area. Do you know what part of the County those big deer were killed in? I saw more "large for that area" bucks in the marsh in the southeastern part of Jackson county on land that now belongs to the Cranes and the government . The deer I killed this year was probably 4 1/2 but I thought older but my friend who processes hundreds of deer said 4 1/2 ?
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby sidog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:10 am

this is a before pic of the deer I killed this season.
Attachments
11-7-13-rug 060.jpg
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby ChemEng » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 pm

I live on the George/Jackson line about 1/2 mile from the Escatawpa River. I don't know where the 2 were taken but I'm going to get back in touch with the WB and find out and hopefully get some pics. of them. Your buck has a nice headpiece on! 4 1/2 looks right to me just from that pic....if he looked at the teeth he pegged him as it's easy to get age up to 5 1/2 from dentine/enamel/ridge wear on the bottom 4th tooth back. Your also right about the corn. The best way to get late season post rut bucks are by watching the food source/feeding areas (Corn best) as a warm front moves in after a period of iced over ground starts to melt. The longer they were not eating right the more chances the big boys will take in trying to rebuild approximately 30% of the weight they lost during the rut. We only had about 3 days here but that's enough to make them move for food with the rut peak just starting now. I'll have to check my cams to see just how much it changed their movement and habits. There is a small window there but do-able, this tactic works best further north where it may freeze up a week or two.
ChemEng
button buck

Postby sidog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Our rut starts in late October and runs into November and I killed this deer walking down a line of rubs and scrapes. After gun season opens the bucks are almost always nocturnal when it comes to feeders here except for young bucks which in my opinion are not as sharp as Does. I was raised living right by the Escatawpa river and spent a good portion of my childhood fishing and hunting this waterway. Good luck with the rest of your season! Welcome to this forum I think you will enjoy the people here!
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Trailcam