• Advertisement

35mm to digital

Trailcam pics, questions, and good links

35mm to digital

Postby danielw » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am

I just got back a complete roll of film that only had 2 pictures with some background, all the others were date/time stamped but were completely void of anything. :evil: It wouldn't bother me so bad if the only two pictures had not been the first and last pictures on the roll :evil: !!!!!!!!! To the best of my knowledge the roll was new.

I have been wondering has anyone here try to convert a 35 over to digital???

And I have wanting to start building my own, to be able to get what I want. Since some of you are archers, can you tell me which homebrew would be the most FOREGIVING? I would like to have a fast digital camera that would be elementary to hack, a sensor with an adjustable sensitivity range, a digital display to show how many and when the extra (25+) critters arrived (and if possible which direction they came from like my hawk-eye displays), and for it to off of one battery.

Do yall use a narrow or wide sensors?
danielw
10 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:09 pm

lot of questions :) I'll answer what I can.

First off, It is highly unlikely you can convert a 35mm to a digital. Digital cameras have to be controlled differentlly than the 35mm, and the control boards on the 35mm cameras just don't work with them. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Most forgiving homebrew? Well, you have several control boards to choose from. Personally, I like the Snapshot Sniper becuase of the LCD display, and the BG2 becuase of its size & capabilities to control a slave flash. Each has sensitiivity settings. The BG2 has a built in "event counter" as well. They will not tell you which way direction the "event" came from though.

As for cameras, there are several choices as well. The easiest to hack would probably be the Sony DSC P32, Sony DSC P41, and the Olympus D380's.

I use both WideAngle and Narrow sensors. I prefer the Wide ANgle, especially on trails.

I'll try to answer any other questions I can for you.

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby danielw » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:19 pm

For my first attempt, what would you recommend? I have been looking at the pixcontrol kits, but all greek to me. Is there anywhere nearby (within 150 miles or so) where you can window shop for home-brew components? Would I be able to add an event counter to the Sniper board. And why would you need a slave flash??

Can I get everything to build the boards from a RS, or just be easier to order a kit or components????
danielw
10 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:12 pm

for your first attempt i would go with:

BG2 or SSS or Pix Controller.. Other parts needed depend on which board you go with.

A Sony DSCp32 would probably be the easiest to find on ebay, and most affordable. I cant offer any input on the other cameras, as I have only hacked the P32 & P41.

For the above cameras, you will need a shutter assembly and ribbon cable.

These parts can be ordered at http://www.hagshouse.com/

There is no where I know of to "window" shop for parts. Radio Shack doesn't even come into the picture anymore

Basically, you will need only a few parts:

Case (I use Pelican 1060)
Camera
Control Board
Shutter Assembly
Servo Connector
Flash enhancer

The fresnal lens comes with the BG2. Not sure about the other boards.

Slave Flash's just increase the flash range.. Isnt required.

Here is a good link to start reading about trailcams:

http://www.easy3dcamo.com/building.html

Hope I've answered some of your questions..
gtk
Admin

Return to Trailcam