• Advertisement

Scottish Stag

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Scottish Stag

Postby Roebuck » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Here is a couple of pictures of a red deer stag that I shot last October, just at the end of the rut. He was an old beast (going back, we say here) and in previous years was likely to have had twelve points. He only had eight when I got him. He was shot near to the town of Alford, Aberdeenshire. He weighed in at 214lbs gralloched (gutted) and with head and lower legs removed. That is big for a highland stag but nothing compared to your elk. He fell to a .25-06 Sauer Outback, fitted with a 3 x 12 x 50 Swarovski Scope, with a 100gn Hornady Spire Point with 57gns Vhitavuori N160 and a CCI Magnum Primer behind it. About eighty yards out. My friend Iain (pictured) drove the quad bike and helped to get him back to the larder.

Roebuck.

Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 am

Thanks for the pics. The stag looks like an elk, only a little smaller. Also, the area behind your friend looks beautifull. Everything is so green !

Is there a lot of hunting ground available over there ? Do most people hunt public land, or is most of it private ? Also, is hunting still popular with the general public like over here, or is it enjoyed by only a few ?

again, thanks for the pics. I enjoy seeing hunting pics from elsewhere.

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks Roebuck for the pic.Nice to see something new and diff. :D
nobucks
12 Point

Postby Roebuck » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:27 pm

Thank you for your comments guys. Our red deer is similar to your elk, just a little smaller. A good highland stag will weigh in at around 280 lbs, whilst a good forest stag could be around 320 lbs. Twelve points on the head is called a Royal and is what one might expect from a mature stag who has been feeding well.

We have six species of deer in U.K. Red Deer is the biggest, followed in order of size by Fallow, Sika, Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. There is a herd of reindeer, at Aviemore, Scotland, but these are a private herd and are not hunted.

Of a population of around sixty million, we have around fourteen and a half thousand who hunt deer. Around seven thousand are professional gamekeepers/deer stalkers. Another three and a half thousand are rich land owners who maybe shoot a couple of deer each year and the rest are enthusiastic amateurs, like me. We have no public land over here. All of it is owned by someone, even if it is the Government. This means that you cannot hunt unless you have permission of the land owner or whomever may hold the sporting rights. You may buy permission by the day or lease it by the year or longer. Wild game is not the property of anyone, until it is dead. Then it belongs to whomever owns the land or has the sporting rights. Deer hunting can be very expensive if you have to buy it by the day. Connversly, if you know a friendly farmer, it may cost you nothing.

The firearms laws in U.K. are some of the most strict in the world. (see some of my posts on the http://www.msandlaoutdoors.com site).

I have a deer lease that belongs to the Government owned Forestry Commission. It is eight square kilometres of forestry, in the Scottish Highlands, that's where the stag picture was taken. It is half mature forestry of Norweigian Pine, Sitka Spruce and Larch. It has hills and valleys and open moorland. I share it with three other guys. We can shoot all year round. Six months of males and six months of females. On my land, we have red deer and roe deer. Although I am Scottish, I live in England. In England, I am shoot captain on a 3000 + acre Driven Pheasant Shoot. We also have fallow and muntjac deer on that land. Fallow bucks run from 1 August to 30 April and does run from 1 November to 28 February. Muntjac have no season and can be shot all year round, any sex.

I am lucky. I have been shooting for thirty eight years and over this time have gotten to know a lot of folks. However, for someone starting out, it can be very difficult.

All the best, Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:58 pm

Thanks for the great info, Roebuck.. It sounds like hunting is a little more difficult over there. I guess a lot of us take it for granted that we can usually find a "free" place to hunt usually within an hour or so from our homes... I hunt on several hundred acres my family owns, and feel privileged to do so...

I look forward to hearing more hunting info from across the water :)
gtk
Admin

Postby bwm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Thanks for the interesting facts!
bwm
Admin

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion