• Advertisement

What deer rifle do you use?

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Postby banded » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:42 pm

Roebuck... I have really just started shooting the 7mm-08... I haven't found a load for it that I just really really love. I am hoping that I can use the Barnes triple shock bullets... I have shot it through the chonograph yet, but will be shortly... The 7-08 is shooting 3/4 inch groups at 200... I typically sight mine in at 200 instead of a hundred.. I try to get my rifles liking a handload to get it to shot in the 1/2 inch range at 200.... But I will be using it for whitetail... I will let you know when I get a round that I really like and I will get you all of the ballistics
banded

Postby Roebuck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:00 am

Thanks Banded, I'll look forward to hearing from you later. The Savages you speak of sound extremely accurate. Savages have never been popular here in U.K. but recently, a compamy called Garlands has started to import them. They are reasonably priced. I too like to sight my rifles in at about three quarters of an inch high at 200yds, which gives me point of aim out to 320 yds, depending on the calibre and bullet weight. I get a local riflesmith to work up my optimum round and then I load them myself. I recently bought a Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 300WSM. The riflesmith's test card was half moment of angle at 100yds but the best I can do so far is 2" at 200 yds. Getting old and the eye is not what it was. Still, I hit all I was supposed to on my recent visit to Africa. Pity I did not know about Savage at the time.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:09 am

Welcome to the site banded !

I love my brothers Remmington 7mm-08 ! I dont know his load he is shooting, but it is very accurate, and a sweet shooter. Not too much recoil. I think one of the outdoor magazines rated one of the Savage Rifles, last year, as one of the "Rifles of the Year".. I cant remember which one, but it was rated high because of accuracy, and most of all, value.

Again, welcome to the site. Looking forward to hearing from you.
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:44 pm

Might just have to try out that Savage for my next rifle.
bt58
12 Point

Postby banded » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:54 pm

bt58, I promise you won't be disappointed in the Savage. The only reason I am thinking about buying the Sako is because it is lighter than the Savage Compact lightweight that they have. But any rifle with a 22 inch barrel or longer will be a Savage.
banded

Postby Roebuck » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:23 am

Sako is a premium European Rifle Banded. Well respected. The Finlight is a kind of flagship model. Nice light rifle with a fluted barrel. They retail around $2250. You wont be disapointed I'm sure. What calibre are you contemplating?

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby banded » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:06 pm

roebuck if i get the sako it will be in the 7mm-08.... Prices sure are higher around there.. I can get one for 1200 here in Mississippi...... Yeah it is a super nice rifle, just haven't decided if I want to sink 2000 grand for the whole set up and have another 7mm-08....
banded

Postby Roebuck » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Our prices are higher here Banded, but the price in dollars is relative to the current exchange rate against our pound. Right now the dollar is weak so the price will seem high.

Here is an example the other way round, buying with a strong pound against a weaker dollar. I bought a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, in 300WSM. I paid £585 which at $1.8 to the £1 was $1053. What price would you have paid? Likewise, a set of Forster Ultra Dies cost £106 ($190) I know MidwayUSA sells them for $77.

Cigarettes are $9 for a pack of Marlboro (20) and gas is around $6.08 per US gallon. This is due to extremely high Government Taxes.

Whenever I visit the US, I bring an empty suitcase and fill it up at Outdoor World!! :lol:

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:08 am

This year I'll be using either a Remington ADL 30-06 w/ a Nikon 3-9x40 or a Steyr SBS Prohunter 25-06 w/ a Burris 3.5-10x50.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Rajun cajun » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:19 pm

Depends on where I am hunting and how thick.

I have a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum that I have killed 59 deer with.

My favorite rifle.......

I also hunt with a Remington 760 pump 30.06

Have My uncles BAR 30.06 super sweet........

and a Savage tactical 7mm MAG.

Along with numerous other rifles.

30.06 tends to do just about anything I need it to.

Need one mor deer with .44 so I can put one last notch in the forearm!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby Roebuck » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 am

I had a little Winchester Carbine in .44 Magnum, Rajun. I sold it last year. I allways thought that it would make a real good round for hunting our roe deer, muntjac and Chinese water deer with. However, our laws would not allow it as a round to kill small deer, or anything else for that matter. All deer need at least 2045 ft/sec in UK. I only got to shoot it at paper. But every time I took it to the range I allways thought, this is ideal for small deer. Your post has confirmed my theory.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:56 pm

Hey Roebuck..........the .44 magnum is not fast or flat shooting, but I shot about 150 round sthrough it and know the trajectory and lead for almost any yardage with out thinking.

I have killed deer at 150 yards with it (I know, you european type all use meters) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have killed russian boars over 200 pounds, numerous deer up to 225 pounds and two elk.

Bad thing is, you rarely get an exit wound using hollow points, however, what you hit dies.

Soft points will get you an exit wound out to about 70 yards on a deer, after that......whatever you shoot, the bullet is usually under the hide on the opposing side.

Lite and easy to carry, never fails you, and ammo can be found at any store in the States!

Sorry you guys have such "Crappy" regs over there, not be rude, biut try and help them to keep them on that side of the "BIG POND"!
:shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

On another note...........WSM 300, great round, friend has over $4,000 sunk in his new A5...............custom built, one inch grouping at 300 meters................he was a Rnger Sniper..........his new rifle outshoots anything he had in the military..........he kills 4-5 bucks every year at 400 meters on a creek on his property.

Hope things get better for you guys over there...........or you might be applying for a permanent VISA to the States!

Thanks fo rthe reply

Wayne
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby Roebuck » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:16 am

Thanks for the interesting reply Rajun. I take part in two other Southern Hunting Websites and the good folks there will tell you that I am allways telling them to fight against any infringement of their shooting liberties. I hope you never get the c**p we have to put up with from our Government. I'll keep it within these shores if I can. :D However, these do goody restrictive types spread like brambles, you never know when they will pop up or where and they are nigh on impossible to stop. Their latest good idea over here, is to regulate reloading dies and primers. Only persons with firearms permits can buy them . That will do a lot for public safety, I am sure. These lefties that compose the Blair Government are full of good restrictive ideas that only work on the law abiding but kill their sport at the same time, whilst doing nothing to halt the huge upward movement of firearms crime. Since they banned our handguns in 1997, handgun crime has risen from the low hundreds of offences to the upper five thousands. The ban was in the name of , you've guessed it, public safety.

Sorry to preach and I apologies for getting a tad political gtk.

Residency in the US does sound really tempting. I love visiting your country. However, it's not easy to get a permit to stay and work, let alone a green card. I went down that road when I worked over here for a US company in the oil and gas industry. I couldn't get it. The US immigration system does not seem to favour Brits. It's easier for some other foreign nationals.

I consider it a privilege to be able to take part in this and two other fine sites, where I have made many Internet friends, with similar values and a love of nature and hunting. I am grateful to you all for making me welcome.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:58 pm

Well thanks for the heads up.and do not worry about PC with me......i am the least PC person in the world.

Have spent a little time in London, then went to Ireland.........Home of my forefathers.........met some ancient and distant relatives at a huge family reunion here in the states and they invited me to Ireland.

A freind married a Britt girl when in the airforce and stayed there for years...tried to come home but cost of living and taxes prohibited saving enough money to come back stateside.

His Dad finnally sent him the money to come back!

Have a few friends over here who are Britts........when I want to aggrivate them......I call them Limeys.........My Australian friend hates it when I call him a Britt........lot of fun messing with these guys.they are really great guys!

Will be gone for 3 days to an outdoor show in Alabama so it will be unlikely I respond for awhile!

Enjoyed your discourse on liberals......I would tell you mine......but this is a nice site!

Wayne
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby Roebuck » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:18 am

Sounds like we may have more than hunting in common!! :lol:

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby mshunter » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:23 am

I use the Remington BDL Model 700 ,270 Caliber. I have had the barrel crowned an glass bedded and floated. With a hand load 130 grain bronze tip bullet this rifle will shoot a 1/2 inch group or tighter at 100 yards.
Last edited by mshunter on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby bt58 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:13 pm

That a 270 ms hunter? Welcome to the forums...
bt58
12 Point

Postby mshunter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:34 am

Yes, bt58. I guess I was half asleep when I was typing that reply.....Thanks for the welcome, Glad to be here,...Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby bt58 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:54 pm

I figured with the 130 gr. bullets that's what it was...sounds like an awesome shooting rifle.
bt58
12 Point

Postby nobucks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:33 pm

I got me an 7mm-08 today.What do you guys think of this round?
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:35 pm

nobucks, i love my brothers remmington 7mm-08. its a sweet shooting gun.
gtk
Admin

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:40 pm

I wouldn't mind getting one of those Encores in .7mm-08. Then I could get a muzzleloader barrel with it too, and maybe one of those .17 barrels while i'm at it :)
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:42 pm

You can do the same with the New England bro. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:59 pm

No bucks..new gun?

Me too.will have to make a separate post about it!

7mm.08 light round but kills deer!

great gun for your little man to grow into!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Previous

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion