• Advertisement

30-30

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

30-30

Postby ghc » Mon May 09, 2005 6:11 am

I was reading the post on people using a 30-30 and was wondering if anyone still uses the old top eject Winchesters (Model 94, right?). If so, do you use a scope? I have one but wasn't sure how good a side mount scope would be.
ghc
4 Point

Postby gtk » Mon May 09, 2005 6:40 am

Hi ghc, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining in, & please keep coming back :) If you have any pics of your hunts, share them in the photo album. Share the link with your friends as well !

To answer your question, I don't have a .30-.30 like your talking about. I have seen several hunters with them, and if I remember correctly, they all used side mounted scopes. I wouldn't hesitate to put a good quality side-mounted scope on. Any local gunsmith could offer some suggestions.

The one thing I would be carefull about, is making sure your scope mounts do not raise the scope "eye-level" too high. I used to have "see-thru" scope mounts on mine, and the way I had to hold my head up high enough to see thru the scope was not "natural".. I couldn't rest my cheek on the stock, and had to kind of hold my head up higher.

Good luck.

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:28 am

A gunsmith would definitely be able to give you the best advice. I was shooting a Marlin, which has side eject allowing the scope to be normally mounted.
bt58
12 Point

Postby nobucks » Tue May 10, 2005 12:58 pm

My uncle has a side mount scope on his old 30-30 and has done well with it over the years.He drilled and taped it himself.He's and old tool and dye man and can do just about any thing to modify a gun.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 pm

Its nice to have "family" who can do things like that. I wish I knew 1/2 of what my dad's forgotten in his life :) That man can do almost anything that he puts his mind too.
gtk
Admin

Postby Rajun cajun » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:06 pm

I still have my Dads winchester top ejection 30.30 and at one had a scope mounted on the ejector slide..........until I missed, jacked in anoher shell, and cut my eyee!

I then switched to a scope mounted in front of the reciever that had a wide eye relief..........eventually just shot iron sights and killed a bunch of deer with it anyway!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion