• Advertisement

Roebuck's Roebuck Hunt

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Roebuck's Roebuck Hunt

Postby Roebuck » Sat May 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Sorry to be so slack in getting this posted. Things mount up when you are out of town.

Two weekends ago, I went hunting for roe bucks, with my buddy Paul, at my ground at Knockespoch, in Scotland.
Over the weekend we got a total of five bucks, though two of them were from my friend Derrick’s ground.

We got up there by Friday afternoon and went out for the evening stalk about 1700 hrs.
Neither of us got a buck, though Paul saw eight does and I saw three red deer hinds (All out of season). :(

We got back to our friend Iain’s place about 2230 hrs and were out again by 0400 hrs.

Iain has the penthouse apartment of a Scottish castle, which used to belong to the Laird of Ury.
A Laird is a minor Scottish Lord. The castle was built in the seventeen hundreds and is typical of a fortified Scottish house.
The house is set in twenty five acres of fine parkland and has a one and a half acre trout lake and a section of the river Ury.
Here is a view of the house from the front. The second floor has a huge ballroom.

This view is from the East side.

The morning outing was more productive and Paul got a fairly nice buck. :D

I got nothing but saw a couple of does and some red hinds. :(
That night, Paul saw several does and two bucks but was unable to stalk onto either of the bucks.
Again, I saw a red hind but no roe.

The Sunday morning stalk was more productive for me. Stalking along the woodland margins heading North

I saw two roe bucks, about three hundred metres away.
I stalked up on them, to about 130 yards and shot one of them.
He ran out into the moor for about twenty feet and I followed him in the ‘scope, in case another shot was needed
but when he turned round to run back to the forest, I saw blood coming from just behind his right shoulder,
just where it should have been. He dropped and as he did so, I put the rifle up on to the second buck but he was not cooperating.
He took off for the forest, jumping the fence without pausing, so I did not get him!!

This is the view to the South of where I shot him.

And here he is. :D

Thank heavens for quads. They make life so much easier when you weigh as much as I do!! :lol:

That evening, Paul got another buck but I did not get a photograph.
I did not see anything to shoot but did watch a group of five red hinds
and two knobbers
(Year old stags, yet to grow their first antlers.) Whilst I was watching them, I saw four badgers come out to feed.
Although these cute looking animals are a pest and carry bovine tuberculosis, they are protected by law.
I remembered that I had my camera on my belt, so I took a photograph. The deer had moved off by this time.
Here is the badger.

The next morning, I took a walk down a burnside. (A burn is a little stream) It is called Terspersie Burn.
Here are a couple of views.

That night, we went out on my friend Derrick’s land. Paul shot two bucks. All I saw were two does.

Here are the heads from three of the bucks that Paul shot.

This is the one I shot.

This is my first six point roe buck. He is bronze medal weight. I shot him at Castle Fraser, near to Aberdeen, around 1982

These heads were shot, some in Hampshire, England and some in Scotland. All weigh in at bronze medal class.

Next visit will be at the start of the rut, at the end of July.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby nobucks » Sat May 21, 2005 3:55 pm

Great story and Pics.Do you guys hunt year round over there?I would love to be able to hunt a place like that where its diff from where I hunt.My wifes brother lives in Frankfort Germ and when I was in the Army I went to see him while I was there and I saw "I Think" a red deer.it looked like a small elk.Was that what I saw?Well anyway keep the PICS coming. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby Roebuck » Sat May 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Yes Nobucks, we can hunt our six species of deer all the year round. Red, Roe, Fallow and Sika have seasons for the male and female. As one ends the other starts, except for roe deer in England, where neither male or female are hunted during the month of March. Chinese Water Deer and Muntjac have no closed season and male or female can be hunted all year round.

Red deer are like small elk. A big U.K. red would weigh around 325 pounds, though they do grow bigger in mainland Europe.

If you ever find yourself in U.K., let me know and I'll see if I can get you out in Scotland.

I hunt a lot in Germany, but in Thuringa, East Germany. I do know Frankfurt but have not hunted in that area.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby nobucks » Sun May 22, 2005 5:05 am

Hey thanks Roebuck.My wife has been wanting to fly over and see her brother.She has never been to Germany,so if we get the chance to get a two vacation in we can come to your part of the world.I love the sites over there.I got to see a lot while I was there.I would love for her to see it while I go a hunting. :lol: :lol: :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby Roebuck » Mon May 23, 2005 3:54 am

Just let me know when. :D

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Mon May 23, 2005 6:32 am

Beautifull pics Roebuck. I cant get over how beautifull the land is over there ! Congrats on the deer also ! Did you shoot your new .300 ? Looks like you all had a wonderfull time & are fortunate to hunt that land.

That would be so awesome to stay in a castle. Some family traced our geneology going back to 1165 in Scotland. Most are from Dumfrieshire, Scotland. I think one of them was a "lord" or something. I'll have to look. Over here in the states, we think of something 100 years old, as "old". Over there, there are things still in use that are hundreds & hundreds of years old !

Again, thanks for sharing the pics & story. :)
gtk
Admin

Postby ghc » Mon May 23, 2005 4:22 pm

Roebuck,

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to obtain hunting rights in the areas that you hunt? If I understand it correctly, it can be extremely difficult to have a location to hunt.
ghc
4 Point

Postby bt58 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:23 pm

Thanks for the pics and story Roebuck....That is some beautiful land!
bt58
12 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Tue May 24, 2005 8:46 pm

Roebuck, Is that a silencer on that rifle or has my eyes deceived me? :shock: :?: I might need one of those.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby gtk » Wed May 25, 2005 6:21 am

iveygun3 wrote:Roebuck, Is that a silencer on that rifle or has my eyes deceived me? :shock: :?: I might need one of those.

I hadn't noticed that in the pic... Roebuck, what is that thing on the end of your gun ? Some kind of muzzlebreak ?
gtk
Admin

Postby iveygun3 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:49 am

gtk, that looks like a silencer to me, maybe they hafta be quiet over there to not disturb the neighbors. good idea :?: man wouldn't the GW's have a field day with that. whatever it is, it must work.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby Roebuck » Thu May 26, 2005 9:30 am

gtk, can you really trace your ancestry back to 1165? That is amazing. Dumfries and Galloway is a lovely area of Scotland. Up till last year, I had a small lease there. Near to Stranraer. Aboout 2700 acres. Too many people were in the syndicate and not all were as ethical as I like. Robert the Bruce, Earl of Carrick and eventualy King Robert of Scotland in 1314, had lands in that area. He was and still is, Scotland's premier hero. If it is not impertinent to ask, what is your family name? I didn't use my 300WSM. It would be a bit of an overkill on roe deer. I used a Ruger, in .243 calibre, with a 100gn Speer BTSP with 37.3gn of Vihtavouri N140 and a CCI large rifle primer.

Yes ghc, it can be very difficult to get hunting land over here in England or in Scotland. My eight square kilometres of Scottish Highlands, is leased from the Forestry Commission (Government) and costs $6521.15 at present exchange rates per year. There are four of us in the syndicate. There are plenty of pay by the day places though, where you pay your money and get taken out by a guide and told what to shoot.

Thank you for your appreciative comments bt58. The land is truly beautiful, in a Scottish kind of way. Put a visit on your things to do list. You wont be disappointed!! :D

Yes Iveygun3, your eyes do not deceive you. The Ruger is fitted with a silencer, or sound moderator, as we say here. Isn't it ironic, that we had our semi auto rifles taken away from us in 1989 and our pistols taken away from us in 1997, but it is O.K. to have silencers on our rifles. In fact, if you shoot on Forestry Commission land, it will soon be mandatory to use a rifle that has a silencer attached!! There's logic for you.

The moderator is very effective but it does not sound the way it does in the movies. There is no soft phutt! It emits a sonic crack but is no louder than a rimfire firing sub sonic ammunition. Very very effective. A silencer on our rimfires render them at least as quiet as a BB gun. I have a silencer on both my rimfire rifles, one Ruger and one CZ and on my Ruger .243. I have permission to buy a silencer for my 300WSM and my 22-250. They run about $400 each, plus screw cutting and fitting. Another $100 to $300 depending on who you use. The silencer also reduces recoil significantly. We have to apply to the police for permission to buy each silencer. It would not be possible to obtain a centre fire silencer without such authority but rimfire silencers could be procured easily and run about $50ish, in blue or silver.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 26, 2005 12:59 pm

Roebuck,

i sent you some family history stuff.... Our names goes from Gree, to Grierson, to MacGregor to some other version of that... :)
gtk
Admin

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion