• Advertisement

Stands

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Stands

Postby gtk » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:40 am

Just curious, do ya'll hunt mainly from climbing stands, loc-on stands, ground-blinds, elevated blinds, or still hunt ?

The last several years, I have been hunting (gun) almost entirely from an elevated tower stand. There just aren't that many mature trees where I hunt, and the mature trees we do have, are not "in the right spot".

I also love to hunt in the stand till close to lunch, then get down and just walk. I have killed a few and seen many deer, while just still hunting around our place.
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:05 pm

I have three climbers two lock on stands a two ladder stands. :D
nobucks
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm getting to where I'm using more and more lock-ons, but I've probably killed more deer sitting on the ground than any other way....
bt58
12 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:33 pm

I use ol'Man Roost lock-ons and grand vision climber normally, but in Noxubee Co. where my other land is leased, there aren't any trees except 2 ft pines. I use tripods and a shooting house or my Brickhouse Blind. those blinds are nice and can be carried and put just about anywhere.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby Stinger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:29 pm

I have a couple of ladder stands but use my climber more often for comfort. One of these days I'm going to build an elevated shooting house... :roll:
Rich

Kill swiftly, Waste nothing, Offer no apologies !!!
Stinger
button buck

Postby gtk » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 pm

stinger, just make sure that your tower stand isn't so heavy that you can't lift it :) I'm speaking from experience here :wink:
gtk
Admin

Postby Roebuck » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:28 pm

On my ground (eight square kilometres) it is mostly mature(ish) sitka spruce and Norwegian pine, on hills. There are several valleys with small burns (streams) and some open clearings and some moorland. We have two stands (leaning against the tree and fastened with rope and guy wires, we call them high seats rather than stands) and I plan to put another three high seats in, covering clearings where I know the deer frequent, either to eat or to lie up. In the morning, I usually walk and in the afternoon/evening, I will walk for a while then sit up and wait. It is seldom that I don't get a deer just as it is getting dark. At this time of year, in the North part of Scotland, It is still light enough to shoot at 2230 hrs and dawn comes around 0400 hrs, so there is not a lot of sleeping time available during the summer (buck season).

Climber stands are not seen too often over here, it is mostly leaning stands or tower stands (tower stands are the most poular in mainland Europe. I think it is because they wait up all night to shoot wild pig by moonlight, and they like their comfort and protection from the elements). We have very few wild pig in U.K. and none to my knowledge in Scotland, so I guess the most popular is the leaning stand. I am just beginning to see climber stands advertised in the shooting magazines recently. There is a make called Tree Creeper and another called O'lman. I read somewhere that O'lman had closed down though.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:23 am

gtk, I make my shooting houses "prefab" haul in pieces and makes it easy to put up and haul, just time consuming.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby nobucks » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:56 am

Got me another oldman yesterday.new grandvision for 149.00.That gives me four oldmans now. :)
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 am

four ole mans :) I guess stands are like guns, you cant have too many :)

Iveygun, I'm going to try and "pre-fab" my next tower stand. I would like to be able to remove it from the woods during the summer months.

bwm (WHO POSTS HERE SOMETIMES BUT SHOULD POST MORE) , can make a really cool metal tower stand. He made me one, but I havent put it up yet. His metal tower stands are made out of just a few pieces of angle iron. He takes 4 pieces of 14 ft angle iron, welds the "box" part together, then flares out the legs a little. Then we go back and put in a floor, & light-weight roof. The stand is light enough to move around with a fourwheeler if needed.

When he gets back from vacation i'll make him post his directions.
gtk
Admin

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:27 am

Interested to see his concept, tell him when he gets back.
on the "prefab" just make floor and then build four sides to screw to floor and to one another(usally use 2x2) and make floor part to slip over the wall to help tie together. all you hafta do is set base, hoist up 3 wall and screw together, then roof up over top and last the back wall with door and your basically done.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Mostly loc-on stands

Postby omegaman66 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:24 am

But I use them all. Best locations (as I find them) I will put up a loc-on stand. Climber is used whenever I test new areas. And I also have two lander stands used in place of the loc-ons.

Over time the use of a climbing stand will be less and less as I put up more and more permanent stands.
omegaman66
button buck

Postby Rajun cajun » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:06 pm

I am like Omegaman, I have numerous lockons, climbers and a couple of ladder stands.

I generally reserve ladder stands for when my grandson hunts with me as he is somewhat scared of heights.

I use lockons and climbing sticks in areas that are very remote and I want to get in and out without a lot of noise, I set the lock ons up early and leave them there, just slip in and up a tree quietly.

I use my climber to cut off deer or ambush them if their pattern changes from my lockons, or I am hunting new areas.

If I have a place I want a permanent stand in, I use a 10 foot "chicken stick" then tree steps above it up to a height of about 30 feet. Then I install a stand I invented which is a MONSTER lockon with a sling seat on the tree and hunt it for years.

So I quess I use what works for the application.........after all, stands are like my gun and bow...another tool to acheive the objective!

Wayne
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby mshunter » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:41 pm

I am looking for an Ole man grand vision . If anyone knows of one in mint shape please contact me......ED
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion