• Advertisement

Never hurts to ask !!

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Never hurts to ask !!

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I live at the back side of a subdivision that backs up to a ton of woods and 17 acres of fields that belongs to a church down the street. I have several deer that come thru the area on a regular basis just passing from one end of town to the other via a small drainage ditch that hides their movement easily.

Well I had a dream the other night that I got permission to bow hunt this 17 acres of fields. The big woods is owned by a man who is VERY rude and has been known to have people arrested he catches on his land and even shot a few rounds in the general direction of some high school kids I went to school with years ago. So I don't have the guts to mention accessing the big timber that would be ideal.

On a whim I called the pastor of the church that owns the land and nervously asked if he minded if I set a blind up in a small group of hardwoods that the deer feed under regularly. I figured he would think I was crazy, wasting my time, or just plain take offense to my asking but he quickly said absolutely I had permission as long as I didn't set up a small deer club HA HA. So now I have access to bow hunt a field that runs between 2 subdivisions that I know for fact I can kill a few does off of come October. I can move to and from the stand out of sight from any neighbors ever knowing I was hunting and literally my house is 80 yards from the stand location. Gonna be strange hunting in the middle of town with dogs barking, kids playing, cars driving near by but the deer are here and so am I. Now I have legal permission to stick a few. I think I'll give the pastor some meat as a thank you.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Re: Never hurts to ask !!

Postby LadyHunter » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:51 pm

That's great. Quick hunt on days you don't have time to go somewhere else. And those deer are more use to people

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Oh I had 2 does stand 75 yards from my grill last week watching me grill chicken and deer sausage. They see us come and go all day long
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:09 pm

This ol girl was here last year with a badly broken leg. I considered illegally shooting her from inside the house to end her misery but the wife said that was bad example for our 12 year old. She could only hop. Glad I didn't because she just showed back up last week. You can see her leg bone loss funny but she walks great now. She is a fighter. Not sure if I could kill her now that I know what she has fought through.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 pm

RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:35 pm

I told ya last year to pursue that place. I love hunting in town

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby Cb123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Congrats on the new spot. There will be a buck come through to. There has to be one or two running around if there is does. Another thing better make them shots count.....if it runs a couple hundred yards on a poor shot you might follow a blood trail right to one of them PETA activist front lawn.... lol
Cb123
Spike

Postby terry08 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:38 am

Been on a project in a subdivision, the lady told me to look in the back yard. There were 11 deer feeding in the yard. She said she counted thirty one day. There are woods behind her house with a creek running through. She said they start showing up in heards this time of year. Said I could sit on top her storage shed and shoot all I want. Just can't get comfortable with shooting deer in that sort of environment. I am sure some of the neighbors would not be happy.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:57 am

Sounds like it will be a good place
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:30 am

I like the way you uninvited all of us with the no small hunting club comment. I read that as I'm not taking any of you blood thirsty savages, so don't both asking because the preacher already said I couldn't. Really though, I am happy for you. The best deer I see every year are in my backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Chad I know you said I should ask last season but who would have thought a pastor would green light me hunting such a strange place that runs between 2 subdivisions? I have only one spot to hunt that's accessible with not bringing attention to neighbors. I have a small trail I cut that runs off my back porch parallel down the property line and right to the place I plan on putting a blind. My furthest shot will only be like 45 yards so its gonna be up close and personal. I have never killed one from a blind but if I hunt the blind I can let my 12 year old come sit with me and hunt.

I am kinda like Terry on this one as far as the strangeness of sitting where I can literally see my neighbors cutting grass, my dogs play on the porch, garage doors being raised and lowered etc. I have lived here for 5 years or so and never put much thought into asking to hunt it. But bottom line is now I have legal permission and the deer are here. I have some corn out at the corner of the field to see whats in the area and right now we have seen 7 does at once and a grey fox. If the deer are here why not try and get some sausage??
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Well first and foremost make sure you have a good shot before you release an arrow second don't trespass without permission third a 45 yard shot with a bow just isn't ethical in my book stick to 25 yds and you will be more successful especially on the place you described having bow hunted many years please take my advice

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby chadbragg » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:55 pm

I hunt both of these properties and see deer almost every hunt and have killed some nice bucks here. I'm had you got permission, look forward to hearing stories from the hunts! ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Ranger, all I can say is good luck. If you make a bad shot and have to trail the deer to a neighbor's back yard and then explain to their non hunting children, why you shot the deer they have been feeding for a couple of years. I just figure it won't be worth the sausage. Just my take on the matter.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:55 pm

To my knowledge nobody feeds these deer except me the last few weeks. I know a few folks that have trespassed the big timber but I like to be legal
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:04 pm

Image BEFORE

Image AFTER

I took a push mower across the ditch and mini-bush hogged the little corner I'll be sitting. Any suggestions on what I can plant in this area? Not a ton of sunlight gets back in there but I would like some kinda food to attract them into this exact area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Cool looking spot and I'd be willing to bet there's some nice bucks traveling through there. As for worrying about the neighbors, I wouldn't. You're legal and hunting is nothing to be ashamed of or to have to explain to a non hunter.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby jbjones » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Man, that's great RR.

I've got a similar setup at my neighbor's place. I use my crossbow only. Problem is, what happens when the deer dies on the adjacent property?

I'm pretty much OK, since the surrounding property is wooded...and not really under a watch. If I read your description right, you may not be as lucky?

At any rate, hope you get a few extra to your quota out there. It's always nice to be able to walk from your couch to your stand!

-JB
jbjones
button buck

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:29 pm

This was Sunday while I was 60 yards away on my couch... I really need to be there all weekend when possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:38 am

See if your wife will let you put a feeder in the den you can hunt out of your recliner

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:00 am

how far is this from your house? Would wifi reach your stand ? if so, you should set up a webcam on the plot so we can stream your deer hunts live :D
gtk
Admin

Postby RoadRanger » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not joking when I tell you all this.... I can almost connect to wifi from the stand to the house. I could get a booster and make it work but I already was shopping Saturday and found out I can order 250 foot of TV cable for roughly 50 bucks that I can literally run from my sons room to the ground blind and take my extra flat screen TV out and set in the blind so I can keep up with the games!!! How cool would that be??
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 am

All you would need then is a long extinction cord for the mini fridge and a toilet and you won't ever have to leave. That really is a nice setup you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby Bloodhound » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:47 am

RoadRanger wrote: I can literally run from my sons room to the ground blind and take my extra flat screen TV out and set in the blind so I can keep up with the games!!! How cool would that be??

That's what I'm talking about. :ylsuper:
Don't sweat the petty stuff.....
And don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Bloodhound
8 Point

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion