• Advertisement

338 yards

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

338 yards

Postby terry08 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:15 am

Boggar, Veterans Gun Works. Got a hit yesterday, hope they find him this morning.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1184192799

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: 338 yards

Postby LedJarvis » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:29 am

I would suggest you come to a solid solution to what you are trying to do. If I am hunting white tail then .338WM is a bit much. Some things to consider for target shooting the ft/lbs of force left over only need to be enough to ring the steel or break paper. But if you are going to hunt then what is your maximum range. I am not trying to judge your shooting skills, but I am asking you to. Are you accurate enough to need .338WM power at say 1400 yards to hit an elk, or will your hunting be limited to 500 yards? Then you need to consider how much energy is left over at that distance. Is it enough to humanly kill, or is it going to cause unnecessary harm. So does the round your trying to use have the necessary energy for your hunting limitations that you set. Are you shooting unknown distance and need a flatter round, or are you shooting known distance where you have the precise distance. I would suggest using 1 rifle for target, and 1 rifle for hunting.
LedJarvis
button buck

Postby jv » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Sure hope they found him
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:18 pm

They didn't, from the looks of the video. I think he shot low, the bull dose not seem to be injured as he leaves the scene.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:04 am

I hate they didn't find him. Did it still cost him his tag ? The bull was definitely hit

does he have a special wheelchair for terrain like that? i admire him for "keeping on" with hunting !!
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:34 pm

Hate that for him. Elk can take a lickin' and keep on tickin" . But that looks like a fatal shot with maybe 1 lung depending on bullet(notice I didnt say caliber :) ). My best advice to new/newer elk hunters is to use a good bonded bullet and break the shoulders especially if in rough country. They are some tough animals.
stickers
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm

gtk wrote:I hate they didn't find him. Did it still cost him his tag ? The bull was definitely hit

does he have a special wheelchair for terrain like that? i admire him for "keeping on" with hunting !!

Oh yeah Greg, he has a ride most would die for. It is shown in the background of the photo Jv, posted. It will go anywhere with no problem.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:02 pm

stickers wrote:Hate that for him. Elk can take a lickin' and keep on tickin" . But that looks like a fatal shot with maybe 1 lung depending on bullet(notice I didnt say caliber :) ). My best advice to new/newer elk hunters is to use a good bonded bullet and break the shoulders especially if in rough country. They are some tough animals.

Stickers, this ain't his first rodeo. He is a seasoned veteran at hunting, and serving our country. And one hell of a gunsmith. He got it done the next day, and I know they gave every effort to find the first. Sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:47 am

terry08 wrote: Sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

Just ask the all knowing Bullie about shooting elk & not finding them ;)
gtk
Admin

Postby joshua99ta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 am

I'm not sure where the guy gets the 338yards being too far for the caliber... I have no clue what caliber was used but most commercial calibers, 243winchester and up, with a GOOD QUALITY boolit should get it done to 350yards on most north amercan big game when the boolit gets placed properly.

sucks the critter was not found.
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:28 am

joshua99ta wrote:I'm not sure where the guy gets the 338yards being too far for the caliber... I have no clue what caliber was used but most commercial calibers, 243winchester and up, with a GOOD QUALITY boolit should get it done to 350yards on most north amercan big game when the boolit gets placed properly.

sucks the critter was not found.

Never said it was to far. Boogar, is a 500 yd shooter, just bad shot placement on this one.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 am

Terry, I think he was referring to the post by Led Jarvis suggesting that it was to far with the wrong gun etc.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion