• Advertisement

Doe down

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Doe down

Postby terry08 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:07 am

She hit the ground, spun around got up and left. Will give her an hour or so, good blood.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Doe down

Postby jv » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:55 am

Hope you find her
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:05 am

Awesome. Fire up the grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 am

She was 30 yards in the woods. The 270, will not give you a blood trail, never has. Just blood at the site of impact.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 am

Congrats. What type of Bullet are you using? To me the most important thing is a blood trail. I will NOT use a ballistic type Bullet. Always a spbt.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby chadbragg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:51 pm

When I shot my 270 I rarely had to trail one but if I did Ray Charles coulda followed it. I shot the cheapest federal power points in 130gr

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:11 pm

triple_duece,
After buying this rifle. Chadbragg, told me to use the Federal 130 grain soft point in the blue box.

At the time, I could not find them. So I sighted in with the Federal 130 grain Deer Thugs. Every shot on deer, just like this morning has been dead zero heart shot. Everyone hits the ground gets up and runs, blood at the scene but none to follow. Will run 30 to 60 yards no blood trail. But when I find them, they are laying in a pool of blood.
I finally got the blue box last year and have had same results.

Have never lost one but have to search for all of them.
I have always trusted chad's advice and still do. My son shot a 270 and we had to find every deer same scenario. They never lay where they hit the ground. But don't go far.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:55 pm

I always try to hit a shoulder. May be the difference.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 am

terry08 wrote:The 270, will not give you a blood trail, never has. Just blood at the site of impact.

bologna :D

i think bullie has corrupted your views on the 270.. i've only lost 1 deer with my 270 in a little over 30 years of hunting , and unless i make a poor shot, the deer usually bang-flop. the few that i have had to trail have had decent blood trails.. Also, i almost always have complete passthru..
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:22 am

gtk wrote:
terry08 wrote:The 270, will not give you a blood trail, never has. Just blood at the site of impact.

bologna :D

i think bullie has corrupted your views on the 270.. i've only lost 1 deer with my 270 in a little over 30 years of hunting , and unless i make a poor shot, the deer usually bang-flop. the few that i have had to trail have had decent blood trails.. Also, i almost always have complete passthru..

Greg, no way am I corrupted. This is a cheap light weight, lean mean tack driving machine. The Savage Axis, after having the trigger job done. At 100 yds I can group less than an inch.
I have never lost a deer in the two years of using it. But everyone has hit the ground and then gets up and runs. There is good blood at the site, but then no blood trail. But when you get to the deer it is laying in a pool of blood. Everyone I have taken has been heart shot and passed through and after cleaning all vitals are completely destroyed. Just wish they would stay down after the hit.
Let me say that I am not a bolt action shooter, I like the single shot. I treat it as such and have never bolted another round after the first shot. Just watch them leave knowing that I will find them. It would just be a little easier with a blood trail. The worst was last year I think. I zigzaged the 40 acres for two hours. Knowing it was a great shot, I went back later to find him where I would never have thought he would be. 100 yds are more from where I shot him and heart and lungs destroyed. Yet no blood trail.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion