• Advertisement

Looking for box stands or ideas

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Looking for box stands or ideas

Postby buckcrazy » Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm looking to add a few box stands to my new property and I'm tossed between building my own and buying some.
I had a couple of the the blynd stands on my fathers property that I left when we sold it and could kick myself for letting them go. The ones I had were 4x8 but only 5 foot off the ground because that's all I really needed but I'm looking to go at least 10 foot for these. Anyone know of somewhere or someone who builds box stands or sells them? I am looking for 2 or 3 for now and may add some later. I priced the blynds and they are $725 without the tower and $1125 with the 10ft tower but I'm thinking I can just build the tower myself and save me a few dollars. I loved those stands because they are light enough that they aren't a pain to setup and are very sturdy once they're in place. I use to moved the ones I had by myself. Total stand weight with the tower was only about 200 lbs give or take.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Looking for box stands or ideas

Postby RoadRanger » Sat May 27, 2017 8:09 am

I like what I saw the primos crew do on a DVD... They built a platform to the height they needed for the stand location. And just put a pop up ground blind on top. That way in off season the blinds can be taken down out of the weather and away from wasps.
I use the Wal-Mart ameristep blinds that are great quality for the price. Add that with the cost of lumber for your platform and you're in buisness for cheaper than a store bought 2000 dollar stand
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat May 27, 2017 8:12 am

Just Google " ground blind on a platform" and there are tons of ideas
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Sat May 27, 2017 8:44 am

I thought about that RR, I was looking for something more permanent and that's what I like about certain stands out there. I've built many over the years but they always seem to not be as durable to the elements as a fiberglass or plastic blind. I had the other stands for at least 6-8 years and they looked brand new. Best part was each year when I would check the stands in the early season for critters I always came up empty. In all those years I did not have one wasp nest in the stand. If I build one I'm thinking of going octagon shaped or a half octagon, if that makes sense.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby chadbragg » Sat May 27, 2017 4:59 pm

I have been building mine using 4wheeler crates. The local Honda shop sells them for $25 and they make perfect platforms. Add legs and build to my specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Pics of any of them chad?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 am

ImageImageImageImage

That's the last one I built.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 am

Wow that turned out great! What kinda $$ do you have in one?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 pm

About $90

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby bobwhite » Sun May 28, 2017 6:37 pm

That looks great! What did you wrap it with?
WAR EAGLE
bobwhite
button buck

Postby buckcrazy » Sun May 28, 2017 7:29 pm

That's sweet, wish I knew how to weld. That would be perfect. I'm going to have to call the local atv shops and see if they have any. I'm sure I can find a friend who knows how to weld so they could modify them for me.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby chadbragg » Mon May 29, 2017 4:35 pm

bobwhite wrote:That looks great! What did you wrap it with?

I used the foil bubble wrap insulation and then some camo vinyl material a customer was throwing out.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 pm

buckcrazy wrote:That's sweet, wish I knew how to weld. That would be perfect. I'm going to have to call the local atv shops and see if they have any. I'm sure I can find a friend who knows how to weld so they could modify them for me.

I bought the angle iron from a guy off Craigslist. I'm assuming he got it from where he works of something. Gave $50 for 30 pcs 6'

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion