• Advertisement

new shooting house

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

new shooting house

Postby merlebo02 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 pm

I am building a new shooting house and it will be on the same property as my home so I am putting a little extra into this one.. It is a 5 ft x 10 ft in size.. I am looking at different options for windows and I was wanting to find a real sliding horizontal window to put in it.. What all have you guys done for windows.. Keep in mind I am trying to make this stand as air tight and comfortable as possible...
merlebo02
Spike

Re: new shooting house

Postby buckcrazy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:36 pm

If you want real nice quality windows check out www.deerviewwindows.com
We always built ours out of plexiglass on a track and never had any problems with critters or air coming in though.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 am

go to a building material store, and see if they have any of those "display" windows they don't use anymore. they are usually small.

i went the plexiglass route, and build my own window frame around the plexiglass and then put hinges on it.
gtk
Admin

Postby merlebo02 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 pm

gtk, could you give me more details?? you just buy the frame material at the hardware store?? How do you join the frames??
merlebo02
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 am

Im in the process of building a shooting house right now and when i get to the windows i can try to remember to take some pics of how i make mine and post them here for you if you'd like. Really simple to do.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am

I buy the plexiglass at Lowes/Home depot, I can't remember the exact size, but I cut it in 1/2 to make 2 panes. I think it was 20" - 24" tall and 1/2 the width of the stand.

So, I cut the pieces in 1/2 to form the panes. Then I picked up some of that cheap trim , I think 1"x3"x8'. I took my saw and set the depth to about 1/4" and cut a grove down the trim so that the plexiglass would fit in it. The piece of trim for the center part of the frame was grooved on both sides.

then I just cut it to fit my windows in the stand, and then piece it together, holding it with wood glue and finishing nails, clamping it together overnight.

it's really simple but its a lot easier with an extra set of hands helping.

I've seen some people who just put the plexiglass between two pieces of trim and screw/glue it together, and let the wood hold it like a vise.
gtk
Admin

Postby triple_duece » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Gtk have you used lexan? Much better than plexiglass.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby merlebo02 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm

buck crazy that would be great!!! The windows have always been my weakness when building these shooting houses.. My window is 8ft across and 10 inches in height… Should I make 1 big window or 2-3 smaller windows??

GTK, not exactly sure which trim you are using??
merlebo02
Spike

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

No problem. I should be doing windows tomorrow.
For a window that big I would go with 2 smaller windows but that's just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 am

I may have used lexan, I can't remember. . I'm using just the common 1x2 from Lowes. its cheap,about $3 for 8' board.
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Sorry they'll be no stand work today. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby merlebo02 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm

LOL, dont blame you!! What about doors?? In the past I have always just built my doors.. I would build a frame and put plywood on it… This stand I am wanting to put a better door on it.. I am thinking a real door of some sort maybe.. I am wanting to build this stand to last and be pretty tight…. I was going to do the interior walls with plywood and the outside tin or ordura (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ondura-4-ft-x- ... el/3010607) with some insulation in between :ylsuper:
merlebo02
Spike

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion