• Advertisement

What cooler

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

What cooler

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:40 pm

What rotomolded cooler are y'all using? Yeti , orka etc.. They are costly but are they worth the investment? I wouldn't mind one but a budget is a factor
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Re: What cooler

Postby chadbragg » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I have yeti and k2. There is no difference. In my opinion they are well worth their $$$. I purchased both of mine used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby Allisonboatsms » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 pm

I bought one of the Rtic ones when they went on clearance. I will say it's a heavy durable sob . If pre billed it will indeed keep ice a solid 5 days in July heat. But it still won't hold as much meat as my igloo extreme.
By the pricking of my thumbs...Something wicked this way comes.
Ruger M77 HAWKEYE 25-06 .. DEATH FROM AFAR.

TEAM 5
Allisonboatsms
6 Point

Postby Allisonboatsms » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Pre chilled that is.
By the pricking of my thumbs...Something wicked this way comes.
Ruger M77 HAWKEYE 25-06 .. DEATH FROM AFAR.

TEAM 5
Allisonboatsms
6 Point

Postby terry08 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Very true, but for keeping venison, I would choose the igloo extreme every time. Much more space.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I would need it to keep a deer on ice for several days or for a two day trip at the lake. I'm not camping for a week. Likely week stay in my truck so weight is a factor but not major
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:43 am

RoadRanger wrote:I would need it to keep a deer on ice for several days or for a two day trip at the lake. I'm not camping for a week. Likely week stay in my truck so weight is a factor but not major

Ranger, I use the 120 qt igloo extreme. Can often catch on sale for $ 59.00 at Walmart. It will hold a whole deer, hind quarters, front shoulders and back straps. I buy the 20 lb bags of ice from a machine for $ 1.50. Two bags on the deer will last a week during cooler temps. I drain the water every couple of days, and usually leave the venison in it to age for two weeks. It all depends on what you want and want to spend. The larger yeti's, are way to heavy for me, when full they require two men to load on a truck. At least that's the case for us old men. Lol

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

What cooler

Postby triple_duece » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:01 am

Most ice chest will hold ice for a few days.

Roto molded ice chest are the best.
Pros:
Lifetime ice chest
Keep ice better than the old type
No more broken hinges, lids.
Don't slide in truck

Cons:
Heavy
Cost
Don't slide in truck
Bigger risk of getting stolen
Cost much more

I love/hate mine. I have a yeti 75, 2 rtic 65, and rtic 20. Wish I had a big one but wouldn't be able to move it if it was full.

All depends what your wants and needs are. If wanting a large chest I'd buy the igloo extreme. Won't be as durable as a roto molded cooler, but would be a better fit if looking for a chest 100 quarts or more.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:25 am

You can catch the RTIC coolers on sale every once in a while. They just had a 25% off. I got a yeti 65 for a Christmas present one year, i bought a RTIC 65 & 45 when they were unloading them so cheap last year.. I have one of those huge igloo coolers i had to buy last year to get my elk home..

each one has its pro's & cons.. i love the roto molded coolers for taking down to deer camp & keeping stuff cold for several days. I like the roto molded ones for hauling elk across the country, as there is no thawing at all when using dry ice.

the igloo holds more, and is a lot lighter.. i can get a whole deboned deer in the igloo.
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:01 am

All great reviews Ranger. The roto molded coolers are a great investment for lifetime use. It's all about your personal needs and budget. I have a friend who elk hunts several states. He purchased 3 artic king 5.0 cubic feet freezers from Walmart for
$ 99.00 each. When he goes elk hunting he will slide one in the bed of his truck and if he scores he puts the meat in the freezer with dry ice. When he gets home he puts the freezer in his garage where he has three dedicated wall outlets, removes the dry ice, drains any water and plugs it in. Thought this was a neat setup.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 am

I have an ENGEL cooler, it was a gift. But it does good if it is pre-cooled. I spent a week on a trip and kept drinks in it and the ice melted, but it did keep it cold enough for the drinks. It is not big enough to be put a deer in, so I still use my big igloo for that.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 am

I got a Yeti as a gift and like it other than the fact it weighs a ton before you even fill it. They are nice, I have had ice last 6 days in mine before. Just don't like having to move it around. I wouldn't buy another one because of the weight.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby stickers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 pm

gtk wrote:You can catch the RTIC coolers on sale every once in a while. They just had a 25% off. I got a yeti 65 for a Christmas present one year, i bought a RTIC 65 & 45 when they were unloading them so cheap last year.. I have one of those huge igloo coolers i had to buy last year to get my elk home..

each one has its pro's & cons.. i love the roto molded coolers for taking down to deer camp & keeping stuff cold for several days. I like the roto molded ones for hauling elk across the country, as there is no thawing at all when using dry ice.

the igloo holds more, and is a lot lighter.. i can get a whole deboned deer in the igloo.

Dry ice is your friend when bringing back elk. We have packed them in cardboard boxes and left them for a week or more. The best thing is a freezer with a generator I have found though.
stickers
10 Point

Postby patinlouisiana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 pm

I heard you can get them for free in Academy Sports' parking lot ;-) :W: :stir:
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

patinlouisiana wrote:I heard you can get them for free in Academy Sports' parking lot ;-) :W: :stir:

only at night :lol:
gtk
Admin

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Gotta bring your bolt cutters . They cable lock them down so the wind won't blow them off
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

What cooler

Postby Jhlawson80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:16 pm

I use a Lit cooler they are awesome. It holds ice along time and it has a light built into to. So when you open it at night you can see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhlawson80
6 Point

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion