• Advertisement

PROTECT YOUR PROTEIN

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

PROTECT YOUR PROTEIN

Postby coonhood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm

HEY, How many of you feed protein? what type of feeders do you have and how to keep raccoons from robbing you blind?
coonhood
button buck

Re: PROTECT YOUR PROTEIN

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 am

One of the best feeders I've found for feeding protein pellets or corn is the banks outdoors feeders.
I bought 6 of them this year and they are great. The one I have are the 225# feeders. Best thing is there are no moving parts or anything to put together. Just dig a hole ,set a 4x4 post in the ground and set the feeder on top. I have a good bit of hogs on my property and they cannot get into them or knock them over. I like trough feeders and used them for years but since buying this property and having hogs around I was looking for something they couldn't damage. I had problems with coons defecating and urinating when they would jump into trough feeders in the past and don't have those problems now. I bought mine through Sportsmans Guide and they were cheaper than anywhere. Think I paid $250 each for them but I wont have to fix or buy another one in a couple years.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby coonhood » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 am

First off, your quotes at the bottom of your signature crack me up... I cant tell you how many times I have sat in a particular spot waiting or listening and thought... if anyone saw me right now they would think I was an idiot.

It seems with the banks that the raccoons would climb the 4X4 right up to the spouts and get on top of them. Does anyone have any experiecne with any of the larger metal feeders? (OUTBACK, Atascosa, Allseasons ?...etc)
coonhood
button buck

Postby triple_duece » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 am

Get on texasbowhunters.com. They are the protein kings
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby coonhood » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 am

Yea Iv been on TBH but my work computer blocks it... not sure why it doesnt block this forum but at least I have somewhere to go to procrastinate haha.
coonhood
button buck

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am

They will but I took a piece of pvc pipe and slip it over the 4x4 and they can't climb it and solved that problem. I'll take a pic of mine this weekend when I go up. They have a larger one that holds 600# if you're looking for a larger feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby coonhood » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am

I ask because I am just trying to get a general feel for the different solutions and innovative ways people deal with this.

I have a solution that works, and am looking for questions comments and criticism

check out coonhood.com and let me know what you think!!
coonhood
button buck

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am

Are you the inventor?
Nice idea but seems like it's just one more thing to break out there. Every mechanical thing at some point in time will break or need repair. With the banks feeder there are no moving parts and that's why I like them so much. I initially had coons climbing the 4x4 post and checked their website and they sell a sleeve (pvc) to solve that problem. I got my own pipe for a fraction of the cost and now I don't have coin problems. Coons get pretty rowdy when they are mad about not getting feed and destroy feeders. That's why I don't use spin feeders anymore, that and hogs.
How much do those go for?

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby coonhood » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 am

Yes I am the inventor, So far the ones we have in operation have worked like a charm, the coons haven't damaged any & quit messing with them after the first few nights... in our experience anyway, however, I guess that will be dependent on the availability of other food sources how long they try to fight the hoods. Depending on which model, the prices vary. Anywhere from around $130 for the bossbuck 3 way assembly, to max around $250 for the set of 4 on some of the larger feeders.
coonhood
button buck

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

That's a pretty neat design. First I've seen like that. Good luck on your product as it seems like it would work fine. Just a little feedback from a customers standpoint and don't take this the wrong way, there's no way I would spend $250 or more on a feeder and then drop another $130-$250 to keep raccoons out when I could purchase a feeder that does both for $250-$300. The mechanical issue would concern me with parts breaking over time as well. I'm not a salesman or getting paid by banks feeders , just a satisfied customer, but I feel that they are hands down the best out there. I also have 2 boss buck feeders and honestly hate them. I don't like the snap together legs and the walls of the feeders are mighty flimsy compared to the others.
It was pretty funny and entertaining watching the coons trying to figure out how to get the feed out though. Good luck with your product as I feel it is pretty ingenious that you outsmarted the wiley ol coons!

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Do you have videos of deer using the feeders with the hood attached? I'd be curious to see how they react to it as well

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby coonhood » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 pm

buckcrazy wrote:That's a pretty neat design. First I've seen like that. Good luck on your product as it seems like it would work fine. Just a little feedback from a customers standpoint and don't take this the wrong way, there's no way I would spend $250 or more on a feeder and then drop another $130-$250 to keep raccoons out when I could purchase a feeder that does both for $250-$300. The mechanical issue would concern me with parts breaking over time as well. I'm not a salesman or getting paid by banks feeders , just a satisfied customer, but I feel that they are hands down the best out there. I also have 2 boss buck feeders and honestly hate them. I don't like the snap together legs and the walls of the feeders are mighty flimsy compared to the others.
It was pretty funny and entertaining watching the coons trying to figure out how to get the feed out though. Good luck with your product as I feel it is pretty ingenious that you outsmarted the wiley ol coons!

You are completely right. No one will pay as much for the protectin as for the feeder its self that why the units we sell the most are for the big #2000 lb feeders made by many of the Texas manufacturers and that are listed on our website. When those guys pay around $1200-2000 for the feeder and spend $800-$1000 dollars to fill it up they are a little more on board for the extra $250 to keep the protein feeding the deer and not the coons.
The boss buck models we have are much cheaper at around $130 for the complete assembly, which is still about 1/3 of the feeder price but when people start doing the math they figure out, they pay for themselves rather quickly. I have no doubt that banks feeders are good and get the job done, and I am glad you are satisfied. Thanks for the feedback, and the encouraging words.

Goodluck this season!!

Haden
coonhood
button buck

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion