• Advertisement

Hasn't even started

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Hasn't even started

Postby terry08 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 pm

And about ready to throw in the towel. Checked the camera today, had 180 pictures in one week. Deer, raccoons, and a coyote. A lot of the deer were duplicates visiting the corn. Problem is, several years ago, I harvested nice bucks. The past five years, all I see is inferior bucks. All very small and pitiful racks, if you can even call them racks. I know the local farmers around me are planting gmo corn and soybeans. And this is the only thing I can contribute such a decline too. Don't even feel safe eating these scraggly looking animals. I mean the antlers are so deformed on every tiny buck that it scares me.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Hasn't even started

Postby LadyHunter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Have you talked to your local wardens or maybe an extension biologist, they might have some insight as to what is happening. At the least it sounds like bad genetics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 pm

I am going to stay positive a buck with a small rack eats good it isn't out of the ordinary for deer to look scraggly this time of the year they are in transition from summer to winter coats the heat is another thing it already cost me a fat doe shot looked good but the deer got in a hay field lost the blood and by morning the cyotes and the heat got my doe

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:05 am

At my age, I am not into management. Have had pictures of a few good bucks. But the last few years most are unusual racks. Such as single spike on one side barley breaking the hairline and 3 or 4 points on the other and going every direction. I am sure it's bad genetics. Just have no idea where they came from. Went from normal fine bucks, to these scraggly things.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:24 am

that's one reason i quit running cameras on my farm (that and because they kept getting stolen).. i got to where if i didn't have good deer on cam, i didn't feel the excitement of going hunting..

now that i don't have cam's out, i go hunting, knowing the "big" one could step out any minute :)
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 am

gtk wrote:that's one reason i quit running cameras on my farm (that and because they kept getting stolen).. i got to where if i didn't have good deer on cam, i didn't feel the excitement of going hunting..

now that i don't have cam's out, i go hunting, knowing the "big" one could step out any minute :)

Very true.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:36 am

I feel the same way gtk, I have 12 cameras and have not put the first one out this year just going and enjoying myself and see what's in store.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 pm

We don't put them out on the big club we belong to. Someone always messes with them or steals them. We know there are deer there, and we have to hunt them smarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby Jhlawson80 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Same here I have 3 cameras out at my lease which is 160 acres and I check them about every 2 to 3 weeks. I have several good bucks on camera but I am the same way as far as if I don't have a good buck show up it brings the debate up if I want to drive 45 minutes and walk a half a mile. I know I will usually see several deer every hunt but the element of surprise is always cool. I have another properly that belongs to my family and I didn't hunt it one time last year. Had cameras up they got stolen and are to expensive to keep replacing. I hunted it opening weekend and saw 5 deer. 3 small bucks and two does. It was awesome just to know I had no clue what was gonna step out. I know there are several good bucks in the area from previous years that if they were killed I would have heard about it. Although I did get into seed ticks on that particular afternoon and was miserable for a week after that. Still had a good time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhlawson80
6 Point

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion