• Advertisement

Hunting boots

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Hunting boots

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm

I was blessed to be invited on a week hunt in Indiana. The boots I have worn for the past 10 yrs have been muck. However the terrain where we hunt was very rocky and mountainous. When I was hunting flat ground I had about 1 1/2 walk. All that to say that was more than the Mucks could handle plus they are not good for climbing at all. What is a good hunting boot for that type of terrain and is it true that a leather boot will hold scent. I have been told all my life to wear rubber boots because leather hold human scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Hunting boots

Postby triple_duece » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Get a good quality ankle and arch support boot.

All boots can hold scent, even rubber ones. If they can smell your boot they smell you.

For the record you could be totally scent free and deer still alert where you walked in. You disturb the grass or dirt making a heavy scent of disturbed ground. Deer smell this and no scent from a deers foot and alert to it. Usually stopping, sensing something isn't right and about face.
triple_duece
10 Point

Re: Hunting boots

Postby chadbragg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 am

I have been in Indiana for the last 8 days and can tell ya the deer up here are completely different. Not ome time did they cut my trail where I walked. I wore my classic Lacross burleys with 800gr thinsulate and was fine. The high temps on some days were in the 30's

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

chadbragg wrote:I have been in Indiana for the last 8 days and can tell ya the deer up here are completely different. Not ome time did they cut my trail where I walked. I wore my classic Lacross burleys with 800gr thinsulate and was fine. The high temps on some days were in the 30's

thanks

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:05 pm

triple_duece wrote:Get a good quality ankle and arch support boot.

All boots can hold scent, even rubber ones. If they can smell your boot they smell you.

For the record you could be totally scent free and deer still alert where you walked in. You disturb the grass or dirt making a heavy scent of disturbed ground. Deer smell this and no scent from a deers foot and alert to it. Usually stopping, sensing something isn't right and about face.
thanks

deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Postby chadbragg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Btw i hope you get up there soon. The rut is crazy right now. There was a 150" chased a doe across the road this Morning. Had to completely stop and let him pass!

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion