• Advertisement

New hunter needs help!!

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

New hunter needs help!!

Postby pimpdaddy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello I bought some Land in Marshall Co. Ms in April I wanted somewhere safe to take my kids hunting. But I’ve only went hunting a hand full of times and never seen anything when I was younger. Y’all got any tips or ideas to keep my kids into hunting they’re 7 and 4. We put out two feeders and cameras back in the summer and got a bunch of pics. But I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Thank you
pimpdaddy
button buck

Re: New hunter needs help!!

Postby chadbragg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 pm

The best advice I can give would be to have an experienced hunter take a look at the land, cam pics, and everything. Do you have many day pics? Am or pm most? Do u know where they bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby pimpdaddy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:54 pm

The pics are all through out the day mostly 6-7 am and 4-6 pm is when the pics had more deer on them. Up to 6 at one time. No I don’t know where the are bedding. It’s a 50 acre lot I’ve not walked all of it mainly just the property line to hang posted signs and survey ribbons. It is heavily wooded and grown up. Thank you
pimpdaddy
button buck

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Welcome aboard. There are some very knowledgeable hunters in here. I agree with Chad, you need an update experienced hunter to lend you a hand. But it sounds like you have a great property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

One thing I would suggest, maybe next year after season goes out is to learn your property. Where the hardwoods are, where the water is, where the funnels and draws are. Being familiar with the property makes a big difference .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

As for your kids, ease them into it. Go sit for an hour or so the first time and work your way up. Leave when they start to get fidgety. Make it as enjoyable for them as you can.

Take along some games or something to keep them occupied when the deer aren't around...and get each of them their own set of binos. Haven't seen a kid yet that doesn't love a pair of binoculars. Cheap Walmart ones will work great.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

welcome pimpdaddy.. how many acres do you have ? does it border national forest land ?
gtk
Admin

Postby pimpdaddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks guys we put up a pop blind over looking a opening in the center. And we’ve seen two deer this morning the first one was right at sunrise it looked to small like a fawn the other was around 8:30 it was a spike. We let them walk on by. My 7 year old daughter was I shock. :drool
pimpdaddy
button buck

Postby pimpdaddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 am

And 3 turkeys come wobbling through also. I know of one small creek the runs on the back. Not sure what hardwoods look like but there’s a lot a acorns on the ground around the small creek. We were looking at deer tracks but there’s a bunch going every direction.
pimpdaddy
button buck

Postby pimpdaddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 am

Gkt it’s 47.76 no it’s not bordering any national forest.
pimpdaddy
button buck

Postby leepurvis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 pm

If you're seeing some and seeing tracks, that's a good sign. For this season, I'd go with your pop-up blind and maybe try to pattern them a little. Biggest thing is just enjoy being out there. The kids will pick up on it and will learn to enjoy being out there too. Once the season is over you can start working towards next season.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion