• Advertisement

How long.....

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

How long.....

Postby flipper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

How long does it take for human scent to disappear from deer detection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: How long.....

Postby glenn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:39 pm

It goes away as soon as the bullet pierces his heart!

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I have seen deer react 12 hrs later

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby glenn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 am

Ok, a serious answer. Having raised rabbit dogs for years and now squirrel dogs, there is no set answer. The scent detection depends on the animal, weather and surface moisture it is attached to. The lower the dew point, the drier the ground and higher the wind the quicker it disappears. Scent that is left as frost is settling will be trapped in the ice and released as it melts the next morning. Some can smell it and some can't. It's what is often referred to it the dog world as cold trailing. All deer noses are not created equally. Just like our scenes, some are better than others. One will have a better nose and nose to brain than others. All of that to say it can be anywhere from a few seconds to many hours as Steve said.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:31 pm

glenn wrote:Ok, a serious answer. Having raised rabbit dogs for years and now squirrel dogs, there is no set answer. The scent detection depends on the animal, weather and surface moisture it is attached to. The lower the dew point, the drier the ground and higher the wind the quicker it disappears. Scent that is left as frost is settling will be trapped in the ice and released as it melts the next morning. Some can smell it and some can't. It's what is often referred to it the dog world as cold trailing. All deer noses are not created equally. Just like our scenes, some are better than others. One will have a better nose and nose to brain than others. All of that to say it can be anywhere from a few seconds to many hours as Steve said.

Wow! That’s a great answer! I liked your other one too. I just wondered since I do a lot of walking across our property to get to my hunting spots.

2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:13 am

I truly believe that what alarms a deer the most is a foreign odor, or object. You work your land year round, so your scent is something that belongs there and they are used to. I once talked to a guy that runs a ranch in Texas. They have 1 truck with a spreader on it with no muffler. They use it year round to feed the deer. He said the deer will here them coming and be standing on the edge of the road waiting for them to come by. That was one of the ways they knew where the big boys were living.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion