• Advertisement

Skunked again!

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Skunked again!

Postby patinlouisiana » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Second year in a row I took nothing.
Had several opportunities to take a doe but passed on them.
We have some very nice bucks on the trail cameras however they are all night pics.
Heck, I didn't even kill the 5th I bought early in the season. :W:
2018-2019 member Team 5
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Skunked again!

Postby triple_duece » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Well you did have an opportunity.

I’m gonna throw this out there, may be something to ponder. I’ve owned my place for 10 years. Tensas parish, which is know for good numbers of deer, big deer and bears. I’ve struggled on my place. I’ve ran cams, had hanging feeders and planted food plots along w rice bran and hand thrown corn.

I have had frustrations with deer cause I can get them on cams but not during daylight.

One year I didn’t feed because of the bears. I seen more deer than ever. Most were eating the native grass I cut w the shredder and some would stop for a bite in the plot. I went back to feeding and not much for seeing deer but they would show up 5 minutes after me walking out after shooting times.

Fast forward to this past season. Was able to get a tractor to do all the first cutting but that was it. Didn’t plant plots, didn’t fill feeders. What I did do every now and then was throw some hand corn down my turn rows. I know this sounds crazy but I was covered up in deer. Even seen bucks that I could hardly see. When the first snow came I hunted knowing I wouldn’t see a deer. Well I seen 35-40. I’ve never seen that many. We killed 3 mature bucks and I seen several more. Call me or it crazy but my theory is if they can fill up on food and stay in the thickets chewing contents in their belly, no need to move until dark. This year we seen more deer than the last 9 years combined. Guess what my plan is for next year?
triple_duece
Non-Typical

Re: Skunked again!

Postby jv » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 pm

triple_duece wrote:Well you did have an opportunity.

I’m gonna throw this out there, may be something to ponder. I’ve owned my place for 10 years. Tensas parish, which is know for good numbers of deer, big deer and bears. I’ve struggled on my place. I’ve ran cams, had hanging feeders and planted food plots along w rice bran and hand thrown corn.

I have had frustrations with deer cause I can get them on cams but not during daylight.

One year I didn’t feed because of the bears. I seen more deer than ever. Most were eating the native grass I cut w the shredder and some would stop for a bite in the plot. I went back to feeding and not much for seeing deer but they would show up 5 minutes after me walking out after shooting times.

Fast forward to this past season. Was able to get a tractor to do all the first cutting but that was it. Didn’t plant plots, didn’t fill feeders. What I did do every now and then was throw some hand corn down my turn rows. I know this sounds crazy but I was covered up in deer. Even seen bucks that I could hardly see. When the first snow came I hunted knowing I wouldn’t see a deer. Well I seen 35-40. I’ve never seen that many. We killed 3 mature bucks and I seen several more. Call me or it crazy but my theory is if they can fill up on food and stay in the thickets chewing contents in their belly, no need to move until dark. This year we seen more deer than the last 9 years combined. Guess what my plan is for next year?

I would say no food plots or feeders and throwing just a little corn every once in a while to kept them looking.
Our club does not allow the use of feeders but we do plant food plots, mostly wheat. All in all we had a very good year with some pretty good deer being taken just not by me. I was sick from the weekend before Christmas till about 10 days ago so I missed the best part of the season and I was just one of the few members that didn't harvest a deer.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't plant food plots or do feeders. Have had great success in the past, but not this year. I just think it's nothing you can count on from year to year. Still, I had a ball!
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 am

flipper wrote:I don't plant food plots or do feeders. Have had great success in the past, but not this year. I just think it's nothing you can count on from year to year. Still, I had a ball!

Didn't get to hunt. But my son stayed at the house for five days and scored every day. Last year, I couldn't see a deer. Saw some great bucks killed by friends this season.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 am

I killed one mature buck and 3.does didn't get to hunt as I would have liked had to ride my 4 wheeler close to where I was going to hunt couldn't walk I did not see a mature buck till late in the season I feel blessed with the buck I took could have taken some young bucks but chose to pass now to surgery and get this problem solved thank the lord for the chance to enjoy this fantastic sport

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby gtk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 am

I didn't kill a deer either, but it was by choice. I let a couple good bucks walk, hoping to kill the bigger one I had seen a few times.. I still had a good year :)

I did shoot at a doe, and actually missed her :W: I can't remember the last time I missed a deer, but it was close to 400 yards..
gtk
Admin

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Well lord just add me in. I had a great season, hunted a lot, saw deer, but didn't kill a thing. Going to make some changes before another year into think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm

LadyHunter wrote:Well lord just add me in. I had a great season, hunted a lot, saw deer, but didn't kill a thing. Going to make some changes before another year into think.

I'm planning an making some changes too. Top of the list is to get rid of about 75 lbs of dead weight I keep hauling around everywhere I go. I didn't hunt my favorite stand this year as I was not sure I'd make it back up that hill. :(
2018-2019 member Team 5
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:01 pm

patinlouisiana wrote:
LadyHunter wrote:Well lord just add me in. I had a great season, hunted a lot, saw deer, but didn't kill a thing. Going to make some changes before another year into think.

I'm planning an making some changes too. Top of the list is to get rid of about 75 lbs of dead weight I keep hauling around everywhere I go. I didn't hunt my favorite stand this year as I was not sure I'd make it back up that hill. :(

Losing some poundage helped me. I lost about 25 last year and felt much better. Some days when I hunted, I covered 5-7 miles. That helped during the holidays when I wanted to eat more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby Jhlawson80 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:50 am

Exercise is very important to everyday life and how you feel. I got pretty bad last year as well weight wise. I have shed a few pounds and starting eating better along with vitamins I feel much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhlawson80
6 Point

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion