• Advertisement

SB2922 Deer and Turkey Tagging

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

SB2922 Deer and Turkey Tagging

Postby jv » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Looks like a new bill has been introduced to require tagging of deer and Turkey.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LNfjqz ... p=drivesdk

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Re: SB2922 Deer and Turkey Tagging

Postby bigsteve » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 am

I think it's about time there is no way to monitor harvest the way it's done now

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby LadyHunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 am

Back in the 60s/70s MS had a tagging system.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Just my take on it.
Whom is going to enforce it?
Only the truly ethical hunter will use a tag.
I hunted a lot this deer season and only saw 1 officer and he was on the interstate running 80+ mph
There is no way for this to work until we have officers to enforce it, which will not happen.
:stir: :stir:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby LadyHunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm

While a tagging system seems good in theory, I am not sure how it would work in practice. Check in stations would have to be everywhere, to expensive. Enough game wardens to check and enforce, the state is never going to spend enough money to hire them.
Ethnic hunters will tag and report. Those that don't care won't. I still don't think the state will get the results they want.

I saw and was checked by a game warden while hunting on government land this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:18 pm

The last time I saw a warden while out hunting was two years ago and the reason I remember it was because as several of us was out on the edge of the road talking and eating lunch when he pulled up and asked to see our guns to make sure they were unloaded and then started checking licenses. After he checked everyone else's he got back in his truck and someone said hey you didn't check Jimmy's license and he stuck his head out the door and said well I know Jimmy and I do know he has a gold license that don't expire and then he said anyway he can't kill a deer anyway so I'm not worried about him.
But to get back to tagging, I don't have a problem with a tagging system but also don't believe the state will put out the money to hire personal to enforce it and the uneffectual hunters will still find a way around it.

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:59 pm

No tagging system is fool proof in Arkansas it is set up on a call in or internet you have 24 hrs after harvest and you are given a confirmation number that stays with the animal pretty simple

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby jv » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm

bigsteve wrote:No tagging system is fool proof in Arkansas it is set up on a call in or internet you have 24 hrs after harvest and you are given a confirmation number that stays with the animal pretty simple

I have never hunted in Arkansas bigsteve but have hunted turkey in Missouri several times and when you killed a turkey you had to put the tag on the turkeys leg before it was moved and then you took it to a check station which where we were hunting was a small country store where the recorded all the information. Now I imagine they received some compensation from the state but how much I have no idea.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am

The state doesn't issue tags any more you have to tag the animal before it is moved you have to produce the tag with your name address hunter I'd number method of harvest sex of animal date of harvest and the zone where taken after the animal is checked you are given a harvest confirmation number takes about 5 minutes to check open 24 /7

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 am

Many years ago when we had a tagging system. It was determined that it did nothing for management purposes. It only brought in more money to the state and was not being returned to the mdwfp. I remember every year buying extra doe tags at the original Surplus City on hwy 80 in Jackson. We always tagged our deer,knowing full well we would most likely not see a game warden. But a lot of people would take their chances. There was no check in stations unless you were hunting state management's. No where to call and report your harvest. You were just buying tags. Later after the tagging was stopped., they did implement a write in survey program. Which by the way also proved to not work. Mississippi, just does not have and is not willing to spend the money for resources needed to enforce such laws. They could raise license fees to generate the funds, but unwilling to face the backlash from the hunters.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Just a matter of time before it passes. Maybe not this year or next but will be in near future. The next thing is to do away with all the commission or at least make it a requirement that they have a wildlife biology degree. I have always said without a tagging system game wardens have about as much chance of doing business as the highway patrol would without radar guns. BTW, "the it didnt work in the 70s " doesnt hold water. Same could be said for many things that didnt work in the 70s that work way better and more efficient now.
stickers
Non-Typical

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm

stickers wrote:Just a matter of time before it passes. Maybe not this year or next but will be in near future. The next thing is to do away with all the commission or at least make it a requirement that they have a wildlife biology degree. I have always said without a tagging system game wardens have about as much chance of doing business as the highway patrol would without radar guns. BTW, "the it didnt work in the 70s " doesnt hold water. Same could be said for many things that didnt work in the 70s that work way better and more efficient now.

So very true stickers, but are they willing to spend the money on the technology to make it work. It's my understanding that license sales are falling every year. Thanks to many who try and get our youth involved we still have a chance
But so many are dropping out due to lack of land to hunt. It's become a money sport which a lot can not afford.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I agree with JB. there is not near enough GWs to make a dent in this.
I actually had a non contact encounter with a warden this year. He parked behind my truck for 10 minutes or so and left. I know he could see me up in my box blind. I assume he ran my plate to get a name then ran the name to see if I held a current licence. That is the only encounter I can remember in recent years. Other than that is has been at least 25 years since I'v been checked. And I remember having tags way back when but never had them checked.
2018-2019 member Team 5
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:37 pm

The way the system works now there is no way they can predict how many animals are harvested In our state does or bucks yet they reduce harvest or eliminate harvest on public land I can't see what they base this on with no harvest record I have been using the tagging system for years no problem if you have nothing to hide Alabama is also introducing a tagging system I hope it works well for all either way I'll never harvest over my legal limit

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion