• Advertisement

Good year, but no deer

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Good year, but no deer

Postby Curlyjack » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 am

Well this is the third year in a row that I have not harvested a deer for the contest. I apologize to my team mates. We decided to not shoot any does the past two years to try to build our herd up some, and from the pictures and what I seen in the woods it is working. There was more activity than there has been in past years. Several bucks on camera in the day time, just when I was at work. I had a nice ten couple eights and several six's and seven's, I seen at least 6 different spikes and a 3 four points, so next years should be a better year.
My dad did get a good 5 point and my nephew got a cow horn so there is meat in the freezer to eat. But I always just love being in the woods as much as possible. Now on to chasing the thunder chickens. Heard one start to gobble last weekend, so it won't be long.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Re: Good year, but no deer

Postby bigsteve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am

It's not always about the kill but how you spent your time and wasn't a real good year for me I only took one buck the lowest number in many years but I'm OK with that I enjoyed my time in the woods I had limited access but I hope that's fixed now I could have taken more but chose not to I still think you are on the winning team that's why it's a team effort congrats to you proud to be on the same team as you

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Good year, but no deer

Postby flipper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I’m walking to get my cushions off my tripods. Just saw 6 does and a young buck chasing them Thought I was going to look for sheds along the way, but his were still on tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Got my knee worked on not as sore getting better daily still wear a brace but I think it will be good for turkey season

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:39 am

i didn't kill a deer, but had a good year too :)
gtk
Admin

Postby Curlyjack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 am

I was going to put some more feed in the feeder for the turkeys and found two new scrapes this weekend. I have pictures of a 7-point chasing does this past week. I don't think the antlers will be coming off for a few more weeks down here.

Just a couple of weeks ago a friend showed me a pic of a spotted fawn on his lease. So don't know if it is the weather or what exactly, but the rut is been late the last few years down this far south.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion