• Advertisement

Deer in velvet year round

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Deer in velvet year round

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:16 am

I have been having pics since last February of this buck and got one again this morning on my cellular camera who never loses his velvet and it looks like he didn’t again this year. Has anyone ever seen this before? Even in January he has it and he also never drops his horns. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Deer in velvet year round

Postby triple_duece » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 am

Most likely lost his “stones”.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 am

yep... missing some man parts
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

That's what I was thinking to, I've also read where does that have horns never drop or shed their velvet.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:34 pm

buckcrazy wrote:That's what I was thinking to, I've also read where does that have horns never drop or shed their velvet.

Your correct. Now you need a money shot to know the truth lol.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:20 am

I'll have to adjust the camera angle and see what I can see , or not see.
I sent the picture to Dr Grant Woods of growingdeertv.com and he stated it was more than likely what they call a cactus buck. Said he damaged his testicles at some point like several of you have said as well. They usually grow unique looking antlers if they are allowed to grow. He didn't say whether or not they can still mate or not but I'm guessing no.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby chadbragg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 am

I had one in the city that kept his rack year round. His rear leg was broken and healed in a L shape. He disappeared so either a car or another hunter musta got him.

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:20 pm

We have one on our land that hasn't lost his rack ever to our knowledge. He is missing his umm giblets we will say. Funny thing is he is on camera all the time till season hits then totally vanishes. Without a trace until spring time. From what I'm told his rack gets big then he breaks it off and starts it over. I can't imagine if he never broke a beam off what he could be
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Here he isImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Wow, yeah he’d be pretty massive. Does he stay in velvet?
This buck is year round in velvet and doesn’t appear to lose it or the horns don’t grow. That’s the part that boggles my mind. Seems like he’d at least lose the velvet.
I think I may watch him this season and try to notice more closely if he’s growing at all and if not I may have to make a judgement call. Maybe let the kids take him out if he doesn’t. He’s got some mass but no beams to speak off.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 pm

The deer I posted never gets hard horn..literally just grows till it breaks or is damaged in some way. Hundreds of cam pictures but nobody has ever seen him in the day light
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion