• Advertisement

Great to see everyone posting.

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Great to see everyone posting.

Postby terry08 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am

Well, I have a story also. First morning in the stand and I blew it. Well, maybe not, I came home satisfied and happy to have missed.
The morning was as perfect as I could ask for. 50 degree temperature, 0 wind, foggy, and a Waning Gibbious moon.
The 30 minute, drive from Canton, to Bentonia, was horrible. Most of the way, I could not see the roads due to the dense fog. But made it on time , to be in the shooting house 35 minutes, before dawn.
My son, had to work until noon, so I would be hunting solo, this morning.
As I settled in and waited for the dawn to break. It felt so relaxing, just sitting in the darkness and listening to the sounds of nature coming from the dark woods that surrounded me. There is no better time nor place to sit back, relax and ponder thoughts of days gone by and try to figure what the future might bring. It's just something about being in the woods, in total darkness. That makes me feel closer with God, than any other place on earth.
As dawn came upon me. The squirrels and birds also came to life. A wonderful sight to see instead of automobiles and people everywhere.
By 7: 30 a.m. I had not yet seen a deer, nor heard any shots from the surrounding properties.
I was watching a fox squirrel, as he was digging into the ground all around the shooting house. I looked out of the front window facing down the gas line. And just like Hodinni, there he stood right in the middle of the gas line. Broadside, looking straight at the shoot house and 70 yds. away. A small six point rack, but a very large body. He just looked as I raised the rifle and steadied the cross hair's on his large neck.
I had chosen to use the Federal ammo, which has proven to leave no blood trail to follow if you have to pursue them.
The Remington, core lok , is just the opposite and leaves quite a mess.
For this reason, I had decided I would make a neck shot, knowing it would be an instant kill.
I thought what a beautiful photo this would be as I squeezed the trigger heard the boom, and watch him spin and run back from whence he had came.
I had to ask myself, did you miss or did you raise the rifle at the last second.
I will never know. But as I left the woods to meet my son who had now arrived. I was very satisfied and thankful for a perfect morning.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Great to see everyone posting.

Postby jv » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:01 am

Sounds like a great morning Terry, sometimes just setting out in Gods creation is more rewarding than harvesting a deer. I’m still hopeful that I will make it to the woods before long but time will tell. I got a doctors appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and hope he removes these two drain tubes and bags...it would be nice since I have at least one or two for the past two months. But for the time being I will set here looking at the sun rise out the window and thank the good Lord for all he has blessed me with so far.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 am

jv wrote:Sounds like a great morning Terry, sometimes just setting out in Gods creation is more rewarding than harvesting a deer. I’m still hopeful that I will make it to the woods before long but time will tell. I got a doctors appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and hope he removes these two drain tubes and bags...it would be nice since I have at least one or two for the past two months. But for the time being I will set here looking at the sun rise out the window and thank the good Lord for all he has blessed me with so far.

Hope all goes well Jimmy, you have been fighting hard and I know you will come out a healed man. Prayers

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 am

Sherrie, said first time shooting, since cataract surgery. Maybe you still can't see.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:48 am

terry08 wrote:Sherrie, said first time shooting, since cataract surgery. Maybe you still can't see.

She may have a valid point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion