• Advertisement

Adding to the ranks

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Adding to the ranks

Postby glenn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am

I have always thought the future of hunting was solely a case of giving kids the opportunity to enjoy it. I learned different this past week.

Every year during Thanksgiving week I have several nephews and great nephews come to town to deer hunt with my son and I. Most of them killed their first deer sitting with one of us. As many of you know, experiencing the excitement of someone getting their first is hard to beat.

Over the last year my great niece’s boyfriend, soon to be fiancé, who had never hunted before, has been listening to all of the stories and decided he wanted to give it a try. As plans began to take shape, his father wanted to join in also, so an invitation was extended to him too.

The dad couldn’t come but for a couple of days, so he came and went while I was still at work. I never got to meet him, but from all accounts he is hooked. The day after he left, his son, the boyfriend got a doe. He was beside himself he was so happy.

Knowing they all had to leave this morning heading back to Orlando, we made one last effort Sunday afternoon to get him a buck. Just before 5:00 a shot rattled the still, quiet woods. The text messages started, everyone wanting to know who shot. He got his first buck, a young 12” 6 point. He made a great shot at about 180 yds. I cannot explain his excitement. It was much more than most of the kids have been because he realized what he had accomplished.

To add to it my niece was in the stand with him on her first hunt. Actually, she wasn’t hunting, she just gave in and agreed to go sit with him and read a book while he hunted, but that’s ok too. They got to enjoy his first buck together.

Him and his father are both trying to figure out how they can get back again before the year is over. We can add 2 new adults to the ranks of deer hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: Adding to the ranks

Postby chadbragg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:29 am

Awesome. That’s what it’s all About

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:38 pm

glenn wrote:I have always thought the future of hunting was solely a case of giving kids the opportunity to enjoy it. I learned different this past week.

With the organic craze, lots of, for lack of a better term, "hipsters" , are getting into hunting so they can have the ultimate organic food. I see it all the time on cooking shows like Andrew Zimmerman & Anthony Bourdain

I was in the grocery store here in CO the other day, and saw the 100% organic beef for almost $18 a pound. I told my wife she has a freezer full of the most organic meat you can get (elk & deer) :ylsuper:
gtk
Admin

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 pm

We need more and more people to join the hunting ranks as long as they are sportsmen.
:2TU: :2TU:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby LadyHunter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am

We all need to take any opportunity to introduce someone new to our ranks . We have to learn to advocate for our sport as hard as others advocate against it.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby Surveyorshawn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 am

That's very cool! They can take a ton of stuff in Florida too, such as hogs year round.
Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion