• Advertisement

12-7-18

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

12-7-18

Postby chadbragg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 pm

I had a friend come into town yesterday. We hunted yesterday only seeing a few does. Today we sat at the same place where my other friend killed last week. At about 8:30 there was a spike that came through the plot and a yearling doe came through about 10. At 11:20 the monster 6pt I've had on camera steps out at 55yds. For some unknown reason he decided to take a neck shot. The deer did a back flip falling kicking around. Once he got on his feet he bolted jumping a 4' hogwire fence. We trailed him over 150yds only finding maybe 1/2 cup of blood. I am completely sick as is my friend. This would have been his best deer to-date. Now I only hope it wasn't a fatal wound. Image

We were sitting together. I had no idea he would opt for a neck shot. He had every opportunity for a perfect shoulder shot. We went from the highest of high to lowest of low in a matter of seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: 12-7-18

Postby jv » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

I have never and never plan on taking a neck shot but have shot one in the head one time but was not the plan
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:10 pm

I would never make a neck shot on one like that. For one thing you mess up the cape.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 pm

dang maybe he will make it
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Pinched nerve.

Sad but had a friend do the same thing several years ago. Decided to neck shoot a doe. We found her a few days later in her bed.

Hopefully y’all can fine him.

It happens. I’d never intentionally shoot for the neck but it does happen. Shot one on accident in the neck that didn’t bleed a drop. Will never forget that as long as I live. She did a complete backflip. Then ran. Then ran some more. We got lucky. Hopefully y’all do too

missed mallards
4 Point

Postby flipper » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Yup, it happens. Years (many years) ago, I made about a 300 yd free handed shot. I walked over and counted the 7 points and then went to get my husband to help me. I told him “If that deer isn’t there when we get back, then somebody stole him.” Well, guess what? He wasn’t there. There was a blood trail leading to a heavy cutover. Long story short, I got the buck. He had enough life left to get in the woods, but gave up the ghost when our dog ran him out the other side of the woods. There’s a good bit more to the story, but I’ll leave it with the fact that I learned a lot that day.

2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion