• Advertisement

Processor times

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Processor times

Postby flipper » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm

What is the usual time it takes a processor to get your deer back? Hindquarters only made into sausage, taken in a week and a half before Christmas. See where I’m going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018-19 Team #1 BLADES and BULLETS
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: Processor times

Postby terry08 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Depends on where you took it. How booked up they are, and what they told you at drop off.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:24 pm

I always get mine in 3 to 7 days, but Terry is right. I would call and ask about it.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 am

As glenn said, 3 to 7 days is a usual turn around time. But I have waited 2 1/2 weeks, during peak season. Especially if it's a good processor with a lot of business.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:00 am

1-2 days here
We process our own
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby flipper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 am

Well I will do my own from now on. I have the past few years. I took it to Rack Shack Outdoors on Dec. 14 and the lady said 2 weeks. Didn’t ok too busy at the time. Wasn’t impressed with where I unloaded it. That said, I haven’t seen any bad reviews.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 am

We have been pretty busy the last few days processing deer. A group of young men tried some of our Brats, Summer sausage and ground burger meat at a get together and they are supplying us with deer to process on the barter system.
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

Well, I called Rack Shack on my way home yesterday and the lady said they “ had just finished the summer sausage.” I picked it all up and it was frozen solid. All of it. Pineapple sausage was a little disappointing, but I cooked it inside. Hopefully grill will make it better. I will do the work and do my own in the future. Read between the lines.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 am

flipper wrote:Well, I called Rack Shack on my way home yesterday and the lady said they “ had just finished the summer sausage.” I picked it all up and it was frozen solid. All of it. Pineapple sausage was a little disappointing, but I cooked it inside. Hopefully grill will make it better. I will do the work and do my own in the future. Read between the lines.

That is good advice you didn’t give.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm

flipper wrote:Well, I called Rack Shack on my way home yesterday and the lady said they “ had just finished the summer sausage.” I picked it all up and it was frozen solid. All of it. Pineapple sausage was a little disappointing, but I cooked it inside. Hopefully grill will make it better. I will do the work and do my own in the future. Read between the lines.

You need to really know your processor well. Even if it's your first time using them. They will want to bragg, on their service, and quality. Usually giving you a taste of their sausages. As far as the pineapple sausage. It's a knack to getting it right. Van's in Brandon, nailed it a few years back. Have not had any that compares to how they make their's. I know it's a lot of work. But just freeze and do small portions as you feel like and time allows. You will be surprised at what you will turn out.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Flipper, another trick. I have learned for sausage homemade, or store bought. Especially pineapple. No grill, oven, or steaming.
Deep fry until just getting crisp. Not in the skillet. One of the counter top deep fryers, works great. You will be amazed at the difference. It is the only way we do any link sausage, since learning this method.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 pm

terry08 wrote:Flipper, another trick. I have learned for sausage homemade, or store bought. Especially pineapple. No grill, oven, or steaming.
Deep fry until just getting crisp. Not in the skillet. One of the counter top deep fryers, works great. You will be amazed at the difference. It is the only way we do any link sausage, since learning this method.

Well that is something I will give a try for sure. Everything is better fried!!!!! Deep fried!

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm

glenn wrote:

You are so amusing to me my sweet frenemy.... I mean friend!

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am

flipper wrote:
glenn wrote:

You know I love to mess with you. I know you have a good sense of humor and don’t get mad at me.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

glenn wrote:
flipper wrote:
glenn wrote:

You know I love to mess with you. I know you have a good sense of humor and don’t get mad at me.

Absolutely!!! That’s why I’m glad you’re on a different team this year! Sort of. You’re a great hunter and put us at #1 a couple of years ago, but......not this year!

flipper
Pope&Young

Processor times

Postby glenn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:48 pm

flipper wrote:
glenn wrote:
flipper wrote:
glenn wrote:

Absolutely!!! That’s why I’m glad you’re on a different team this year! Sort of. You’re a great hunter and put us at #1 a couple of years ago, but......not this year!

That was mostly you and everyone knows it! One thing about me is you never know what I have in my pocket. I can honestly say the smallest thing I have killed this year is the 8 point I didn’t think to take pictures of on I think it was New Year’s Day. Enjoy the lead while you can. Team 3 is coming to get you!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:16 pm

And the dogs are really enjoying the summer sausage from that processor!

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:26 pm

flipper wrote:And the dogs are really enjoying the summer sausage from that processor!

Damn girl, you can make great summer sausage, in your oven wrapped in tin foil. You don't need a processor for that.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Live and learn. Processors are not in my vocabulary any more.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm

There are still some good ones, out there. Just got to listen to the other hunters as to who they use. No one will do it the way you will .

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:26 am

Vans, in Brandon, does a great job. Quite a drive for you. Also on hwy. 18 towards Raymond, I have heard rave reviews on them. Know several folks from Yazoo, who use them. Say it's worth the drive.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:02 am

flipper wrote:And the dogs are really enjoying the summer sausage from that processor!

What was wrong with it?
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby flipper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 pm

jbullard1 wrote:

What was wrong with it?

It has that gamey taste...... like they didn’t trim it up good. It’s all just gross.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 pm

terry08 wrote:Vans, in Brandon, does a great job. Quite a drive for you. Also on hwy. 18 towards Raymond, I have heard rave reviews on them. Know several folks from Yazoo, who use them. Say it's worth the drive.

I’ve heard Van’s is good and also that they tell you that you won’t get your own deer meat back. I liked Buck Shop and Buck Shop II, but I heard of an ownership change and saw some bad reviews from customers since I was last there. I’m fine to do my own. It was just close to Christmas and we were slammed at work and I was tired every night.

flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:29 am

flipper wrote:
terry08 wrote:Vans, in Brandon, does a great job. Quite a drive for you. Also on hwy. 18 towards Raymond, I have heard rave reviews on them. Know several folks from Yazoo, who use them. Say it's worth the drive.

I’ve heard Van’s is good and also that they tell you that you won’t get your own deer meat back. I liked Buck Shop and Buck Shop II, but I heard of an ownership change and saw some bad reviews from customers since I was last there. I’m fine to do my own. It was just close to Christmas and we were slammed at work and I was tired every night.

I used Mike, at the buck shop, many times for sausage. But it's not been the same for years now.

terry08
Pope&Young

Next

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion