• Advertisement

Got my new Bow

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Got my new Bow

Postby banded » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:01 pm

I decided on a new Hoyt Ultramag! I LOVE THIS BOW! I can't believe how smooth and quiet the bow is. Can't wait to bring the pain from above!!!!
banded

Postby Roebuck » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:55 am

Best of luck with your new bow Banded. I hope you have a good season.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:17 am

If I actually get a chance to bowhunt this year, I will have to buy a new bow. I want something < $400.00 bucks.

Any suggestions ?
gtk
Admin

Postby banded » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:25 am

if you only have around $400 I would find a Martin dealer and buy a Martin combo. I help at a hunting and fishing store here in Jackson and we have the Martin's and the combo is $350 and all you will need are a few arrows,release, and broadheads. The bow is very smooth and quiet. Will probably shoot around 260 fps. If you ever get to Jackson, we would love to set you up on a new bow!
banded

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:02 am

I guess another question I have is: Can you get a decent bow for $400 ? I dont have to have the "Best of the Best" when it comes to bows. I don't bow hunt enough to justify spending 700 or 800 bucks on a top of the line bow. But, I want a good bow.

Currently, I have a doublecam PSE Carrol Marauder II . It would probably suffice for me, but I was just wanting a newer single cam bow.

thx
gtk
Admin

Postby mshunter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:12 am

gtk,

I am shooting a double cam Browning Heat I bought in 1997. I thought of trading till I found out my bow wouldn't bring much and it looks brand new from no use. So , I kept it and took it to Lakeway Archery in Grenada last year and the restrung it, new fiber optics replaced the old pendullem sights , carbon arrows replaced the alluminum ones and after some tuning I was well satisfied with the $150 I had spent....My $.02.......Ed

BTW, I also hear there is a good shop in Tunica, but I haven't been there.....Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby banded » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:41 am

Yes you can get a good bow for $400. Are you needing sights, rest, quiver and everything or just a bare bow? If you are only needing the bare bow, you have quite a few options.

1. Martin has several bows that fit in your budget.

2. Reflex bows (made by Hoyt) has several bows

3. Hoyt has a few bows in that range. The ultramag that I bought was $449.99 and it is as quiet as any of the top of the line bows out there.

4. Parker has a few bows in that range

Those are the bows at the shop that I help with that has bows in that range.

You need to go to a shop and shoot all of the bows in your price range. Buy what feels good in your hands. Ex: A good hunting buddy is getting ready to buy a bow and he shot my Hoyt, however he liked the feel of the AR bow more than the Hoyt. So get what feels good to you. Most of the new bows out there are single cam at least. My Hoyt is cam and half. So they are all good bows.
banded

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:54 am

banded, do you have an opinion on the PSE firestorm lite ? see my other post about bows..
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Congrats on the new bow bro!! :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby banded » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:47 pm

gtk,

I am not a big PSE fan. I have shot some of the PSE's and to me personally they are not as smooth as some of the other bows out there. When I look at a bow, I go by the handshock the bow has and how the bow feels during the whole draw when pulling back. I have also noticed that PSE inflates their FPS speed listed. For the amount you are looking at for the PSE, I would tell you to go look at the Hoyt's . The Ultramag I just bought has 0 handshock, very smooth equal pull back until it breaks at 75% let off, and it is quiet as a mouse. All of the Hoyt's are basically the same bow except in the fact some of the limbs are longer, and a little more angle on the limbs. But the risers are all just about the same except cosmetic design of them.

PSE has a high end and low end bow. The Archery Research is the high end of PSE and the others are in the medium and lower end bows.

But the bottom line it boils down to what feels good in your hands. I shoot the AR and the Hoyts and I bought what felt good in my hands and shot good to me. Hope this helps.
banded

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:51 pm

thx for the reply banded.

What's your opinion on the single -vs- double -vs- hybrid cam
and the parallel limb ?
gtk
Admin

Postby banded » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:05 pm

The single cams will be faster shooting bows. While the double, hybrid or cam 1/2 bows will be a smoother shooting bow. I am not one of these that is caught up on speed. I have a 29" draw length and I pull 65lbs and my bow shoots 267 fps. That is plenty fast to kill any kind of animal you want to kill. It doesn't really matter how fast the bow is shooting if it is loud. I want my bow to be quiet and smooth.

On the parallel limbs: They make a bow exceedingly quiet and recoil free - which makes them better to shoot. The premise behind the design is, upon firing the bow, to make the limbs flex on a horizontal plane in equal and opposite directions, thereby canceling the string oscillation, shot noise and vibrations out. So I am for the parallel limbs on the bows.

Also like the PSE you were looking at is only 30 inches axle to axle. To me, shorter bows are less forgiving and can have a little more sound when shot. I personally like to stick around the 34 inch mark
banded

Postby banded » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm

see this post on the particular PSE model you asked about on another website.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208250
banded

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:46 pm

thx banded. makes me start thinking about shopping some more.
gtk
Admin

Postby banded » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:48 pm

gtk, does anybody sell the hoyts up around you? If they do, in the price range you are wanting to spend, you owe it to yourself to go shoot a Hoyt UltraMag.... If nobody has them there, do you get to Jackson any? We would love to set you up at the store I help out at.
banded

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am

banded wrote:see this post on the particular PSE model you asked about on another website.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208250

Sounded to me like that fella needed stiffer arrows and a draw length module, not a new bow. If it's creeping it's more than likely because the draw is just a little too long for him. He probably should lose the Whisker Biscuit as well, they tend to screw up fletchings pretty quick, from my experience. Firestorm Lite is one of the best selling PSE bows out, at the moment.

Now if the dang bowshop would get my freakin Winner's Choice strings on there I'd be in business. Been there almost two weeks and they keep telling my they haven't been delivered yet. :shock: :shock:

I reckon I should've been more careful and not knicked the old ones or I'd still be shooting. :oops: :oops:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion