• Advertisement

Tree stand Idea, whats your take?

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Tree stand Idea, whats your take?

Postby Rajun cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:18 pm

As TSC is our sponsor, and they are looking for new stand ideas and what people would like, I discussed a stand that I designed and have been using for awhile to test.

It is not readily portable as I designed it for those spots I hunt regularly and generally leave it in the woods all year.

I cant go into the specifics as my exact design cannot be made public right now, but here is the general idea.........

What would you think of a semi permanent location stand that offered 22 inches in width, had a sling seat, a foot rest, you could not fall out of it when sitting down or sleeping, has a tremendous amount of foot room (22" wide by 28 inches long), and you could jump up and down on it with no give.

It weighs about 20 pounds, can be put up a tree while standing on the ground (up to 20 feet high), locks onto the tree, you put up your climbing ladders up to it, then put a 2 inch ratchet strap around the tree for added security.

Once you are ready to move it, you undo the strap, take down the ladders, then take the stand down while you stand on the ground?

It could sell for around $225.00 plus or minus?

Honest and factual comments please!

Wayne
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:11 am

I believe a stand has to have two things to be attractive to buyers.

1. The most important, PRICE

2. Comfort- which includes seat & room.

--------------------------

When I shop for a stand, the 1st thing I always look at is the price. I have purchased the cheap gorilla stands, and am VERY dissatisfied with them. BUT, I have purchased some inexpensive stands from bass-pro (cant remember the name) which were VERY comfortable.

I honestly believe a ladder stand for $225 would not sell very good, simply because of the price, because you can go to one of the major retailers and buy stands for well below $200. Sams wholesale has a nice ladder stand on sale now, for $189 that seats two people. I'm not saying your stand wouldn't be 10-times better, but I think the "common joe" deer hunter is going by $$ first. I always looked at it, like, I could buy more stands with the money I save.

Another thing, there are several fixed position stands out there that are comfortable and reasonably priced around $100. Couple that with a $50 climbing stick and they are good to go for still less $$.
--------------------------------------

So, if someone could develop an affordable AND comfortable stand, it would probably sell like hotcakes. Just look at the Gorilla company. They came onto the market with a cheap & uncomfortable stand, yet it is an excellent seller because of the price... . Granted, they probably will not get many repeat buyers :) ..

I think a good "niche" to get into in the stand market, would be to develop a tower stand/box blind that is affordable, easy to assemble, and roomy. Perhaps develop a blind that you could ship to the buyer who then assembles at home. Perhaps all the buyer has to do is go to the local home depot or lowes & buy the legs that go with it.

I wonder what the liability insurance costs treestand manufactures ? Its got to be outragous !

These are simply my opinions. I honestly hope you develop a stand that outsells them all :)
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:21 pm

I defintely agree 100% with gtk on the issue of price....Personally I'm gonna try to build most of my stands for as little of nothing as I can. The ease of putting a stand up from the ground is appealing...I'm assuming that one person can do it. I've seen my life flash before my eyes when I'm swinging like a monkey hanging stands twenty feet in the air.
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:00 am

No offense but I'd rather buy the API Grandstand, if I were going to buy something other than a climber or a lock on, especially for that kind of money. Plus the grandstand is portable.

Normally we buy the two man stands from walmart and put about $20 more into it and have a nice "skirt" around it to help with your movement.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby mshunter » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:15 am

Check out the stand section on http://www.simmonssportinggoods.com . There are a variety of different stands and manufacturers for the cheapest prices I have ever seen.......Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby omegaman66 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Reb the stand he is talking about is not a ladder style stand. It is a lockon style. But I agree with the comments GTK made. There maybe a niche market for it but if you use climbing sticks to get up to it was is the big advantage to putting it on from the ground. Certainly safer but I am cheap.
omegaman66
button buck

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion