• Advertisement

First Outing With Roebuck's New Rifles

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

First Outing With Roebuck's New Rifles

Postby Roebuck » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:48 am

Last weekend, I went up to my shooting land (Knockespoch) in Aberdeenshire. The roe rut was in full swing. First evening out, with the new Sako, in .22-250, towards the end of the light, a roe doe ran over the skyline towards me. A roe buck was chasing her. She turned and ran away from where I was standing and the buck chased her. She stopped and he covered her. I had never seen roe deer mate before. When he was done, he stood on the skyline, about 220 metres away. Not a safe shot. I had the scope on him but he never moved below the skyline, so no shot. He was medal class. I could have wept. (Maybe I did, or it could have been the wind)

Next morning, as I came out of the forest on to the moor, I saw another two roe. They were about 120 metres away. I shot the buck with the new Sauer .243. (I had taken the .243 because there are red deer there too, though I didn’t see one.

Here he is.

My friend Paul shot a little buck that morning.

That evening, I saw the first buck and doe again. About 500 to 600 metres out on the moor. They were chasing and feeding. I tried calling the doe with a Buttallo call but the wind was blowing towards me and they could not hear the call. I watched them for about one hour twenty minutes before they disappeared over the skyline. When I met up with my friend Paul, he said, “I’ve seen your big buck”. Paul had stalked another big roebuck for forty-five minutes but could not get the shot. I told him that I had been watching the first big buck, so we must have two medal class roebucks on the ground.

Try as we did, we did not get another shot on Knockespoch this visit.

We went out with a forest ranger friend, on his ground. He put me in a high seat to shoot a marauding red deer stag, a twelve pointer. Alas, he never showed and all I saw was two small does, which are not in season right now.

Paul had gone walking and had come across three roebucks, two of which he shot.

Four bucks came home with us. I got to butcher them up into cooking joints and made up about forty pounds of sausage. Hard work but when you view it on the plate, with the mashed potato and gravy, worth every minute.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby nobucks » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:32 am

Sounds like you guys had a great hunt Roebuck.You should put him in the contest and see what happens.We got about 47 more days here in Mississipi before we can hunt deer. :)
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:47 am

Hey Roebuck. Thx for sharing the story.

What does a avg roebuck weigh ? They have some unique looking antlers. So, when are you going back after the "medal" one you saw ? Hope you get him!

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby DavidT » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:19 pm

:D Glad You guys had a great time! Congrats :!:
Be careful who you step on while you're trying to claw your way to the top, You never know who you might meet on the way back down!
DavidT
Charter Member

Postby Roebuck » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:43 am

A very good mature roebuck should weigh in at around 55lbs to 65 lbs. It depends on where they live, what they are eating and how much of it there is. In his third year, he should have antlers with six distinct points. It is not always the biggest bodied bucks that have the best antlers. Some times, smaller bodied bucks can have exceptional heads. The mature doe will check in at around 30lbs to 40lbs.

With regard to going back for the medal bucks. I am presently about to take over a country pub, scheduled for the end of this month. If it happens, I will have no more time to hunt bucks this year. However, yesterday, after a meeting with the surveyor, I think that there is some structural issues to be resolved that will delay the take over. If that is the case, I hope to go back up early September. I spoke to buddy Paul yesterday and he seems up for it. Watch this space!! :lol:

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:29 am

looking forward to it roebuck :)
gtk
Admin

Postby iveygun3 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:22 pm

congrats for Roebuck and continued success. hopefully the medal class will give you an opportunity.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion