• Advertisement

Scent control does it work.

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Scent control does it work.

Postby nobucks » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:04 pm

For years I hunted without useing any type of scent control and got busted more times than I can count.I realy at first did not think that the stuff worked and would not spend my hard earned money on it.Well i started seeing more and more of it on the market so I said to myself cant hurt so I begain to use the scent-away spray and I could tell that I was not getting busted as much so I tried the soaps and washing poweders or liquid which ever.
Soon I noticed I wasnet getting busted at all unless I walked right up on deer and I got excited about it and started useing it all the time.I have used all but the carbin based stuff and I used the dust by knight and hale to and it seemed to work but it was hard to find so I quit useing it.A little over ago I got to know Rajun cajuin from the PRIMOS site and he ask me to test it for him so I did.As i have said in the other post on this subject I told him I would not push his prouduct unless I tested and proved it first.
I put a stand up at 12ft and thats low for me but I wanted to see If I could get a deer to smell me down wind useing noscents-at all.I had a 4point come out down wind at about 30yards and start feeding.He fed for about 20 min and the wind was go to him at about 10-12 so he should have smelled me so I desided to grunt at him.When I grunted to lifted his head and checked the air and looked in my direction and went back to feeding.
I truly feel that the scent control did its job.
I wash my hunting clothes in it.I take a bath in the soap and I use the spray and it works very well for me and its made and packaged in the USA :D :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

I use his stuff too.

Postby omegaman66 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:12 pm

It works. I put up a very long post on aldeer about it. Here is the short version.

Wife got some cat. Cats peed all over my daughter clothes. Later found more clothes with cat piss all over them. It had sat a while and multiple washing wouldn't get all the smell out.

Just before trashing all the clothes I pulled the No Scents At All out of my hunting closet and got Holly to try it. Shazam!!! Cat piss smell gone! All other products that you find for cleaning clothes that we tried failed. I am sold on it now, as if I wasn't already.
omegaman66
button buck

Postby missed mallards » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:41 pm

I really can't say. I've seen the two biggest buck's of my life smokeing a cigeratte with the wind in their faces. Neither was 60 yards away. then again i was on the ground in blue jeans and an olive green shirt sporting my justin leather boots. this is at two different spot's on the same day. one in the morning and the other that evening.
missed mallards
button buck

Postby gtk » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:05 pm

i think your on to something missedmallards..

this year, i'm going to dress in jeans & sweatshirt, like I'm just out for a walk. Year after year, it seems i see my best deer when I am not hunting. Like my dad, he doesnt hunt, yet he usually see's a big buck or two every year while doing something like driving the golf cart to the mailbox, or walking up to the barn. :?
gtk
Admin

Postby omegaman66 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 am

I have heard numerous stories of people smoking and killing deer. I think that maybe since cigarettes don't smell like people and cigarettes don't eat deer that maybe the smell of cigarrets isn't alarming to the deer.
omegaman66
button buck

Postby nobucks » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:56 pm

The controlled burns that deer go through year after year my have something to do with it also. but if that deer smells you he's gone.Smoke is something they smell more than you think.When I was a smoker I to had deer come in under my stand and at the same time if I was on the ground and he smelled me he would be gone. I dont know much about deer hunt but thats my 2cents worth. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby mshunter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm

As far as the smoking on a deer stand goes I think you are just incredibly lucky and wonder how many you didn't see. I think anything that smells out of the ordinary puts good bucks and alpha does on alarm status and they are soon gone. But as far as scent eliminators goes this is my experience:

I became a believer in scent control products in the mid 80"s. An Ace hardware in my hometown of Jackson, Alabama was putting on a Hunting Promotion and one of the products was a Scent Eliminator and the way it was demonstrated was they cut up an onion and had you rub your hands all in it and smell, well it would Knock you down!!! then they would spray your hands and honest to goodness it was gone . They went on to tell you that the smell would come back slower or faster depending on ambient temp. Well about 4 hours later my eyes were watering it was back so strong on my hands at about 60 degrees , but it proved to me for 4 hours the onion scent was gone..My $.02 :wink: ..Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:40 am

I use scent control products and believe they work, but good camo and being motionless are also key things to remember. I am a fan of Scent Blocker and have seen results that I used to not see. The key is whether you believe in the product or not. If one doesn't believe then there is no way the results will show.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby mshunter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:06 pm

Nobucks,

Let me know when No Scent comes to a store near Batesville . I was going to order a couple of the 4 packs for total of $49 and then I found out shipping was $26, just can't make myself do that even if it makes me invisible!! Please let me know asap if it comes to a local store, I would really like to give this stuff a try . I field test for Buck Stop scents and lures also and have been using there stuff for years..........Thanks,.......Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion