Rut - North MS

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Rut - North MS

Postby ahlangle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am

I hunt on Upper Sardis WMA in Lafayette County and was wondering when the rut is up here?
ahlangle
button buck

Re: Rut - North MS

Postby merrillcd_mem » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:38 am

Hover or drill down on your area.. according to this map your close to mid-december.. GTK may have more info

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/Game/Deer/deer_breeding.asp
merrillcd_mem
Boone&Crockett

Postby UMSportsman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

It's really difficult to say about the rut around here. I would venture to say that we have two ruts in this area. I see a lot of chasing right around Thanksgiving or a little after. After that, it seems that it slows down a little bit until January. At our place in Lafayette County, I killed a nice buck chasing does the last week in January. As complicated as all this sounds, there's really no specific time the rut happens around here. There's so many deer that it's tough to put a finger on exact dates.
UMSportsman
6 Point

Postby gtk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:45 pm

The last few years the "chasing" has been happening at different times up here in DeSoto County. Last year, I don't think I really saw any chasing. In years prior, the peak chasing happens around the last week of primitive season into late December.

Mostly, how much activity you actually "see" is going to depend on the buck-doe population.
gtk
Admin

Postby Taproot » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

gtk wrote:The last few years the "chasing" has been happening at different times up here in DeSoto County. Last year, I don't think I really saw any chasing. In years prior, the peak chasing happens around the last week of primitive season into late December.

Mostly, how much activity you actually "see" is going to depend on the buck-doe population.

What GTK said. I start hunting mid-day when the first primitive season starts. You'll usually see the "second rut" the last week of gun season and the last primitive season.
Taproot
10 Point

Postby mikybigbuck » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm

early to mid-december starts...peaks around december 20 most of the time
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby BIGERN76 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:09 pm

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/Ga ... eeding.asp

Don't know how accurate this is but just click on your county and scroll over closest area and it gives you the dates.

:ylsuper:
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby phesterbuck » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 pm

in the past several years i had seen a lot of buck running does heavily around DEC.18 GOOD LUCK
phesterbuck
6 Point

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion