• Advertisement

Baiting Deer?

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Baiting Deer?

Postby nobucks » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:50 pm

There's a bill in the house bill1215 that would make it legal to hunt deer over bait.I thought I would post this and see what you guys thought about it.I for one dont have a problem with it .Some people will not see it the way I do but thats ok.There are states that have been doing it for years with little trouble.the trouble comes when you pile it up on the ground in a pile.I plant food plots to bring deer in to them and I dont see any differents in that and baiting.In the south deer dont use deer yards as they do up north.The deer in the south have food for the most part all year.In the north they move into these places called deeryards.Thats where the deer are all in one area and I can see where there would be a problem with baiting.Are there any studys done in the south where deer were known to have died from disease where bait was being used?I know there will be some out there that will not agree with me but I want to hear from you. :D :wink: Keep it nice guys.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby nobucks » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:52 am

I see that 6 or more people have looked at this topic and no one has responded to it.If your from MS you should have a thought you would like to express about this subject.I,m just asking your thoughts and i respect what ever that is.Lets hear from you guys before its voted on.They will vote on it next week I think. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby pavehawk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Either increase the fines for doing it, or legalize it. One way or the other.
pavehawk

Postby cooper » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:22 am

I disagree with baiting deer. I generally harvest between 4-6 deer each season without the use of corn. Its called putting your time in as to properly pattern and learn the deer which you are hunting. I believe the fines should be increased as to deter baiting, I hope the bill fails again!!!!!
cooper
button buck

Postby gtk » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:28 pm

the only "baiting" i agree with, is planting a food plot :)

The reason i dont agree with baiting is simply because its illegal. To each his own. I think putting out a corn feeder is overrated. They dont just magically flock to a feeder..

If they legalize it, so be it. One way or another, they need to decide, and if they keep it illegal, stiffen the fines significantly !
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Thanks guys.I just wanted to know what you guys thought.Where we hunt we plant food plots but if it is made legal here I will be putting feeders out.It will be only if its legal.I like to do what ever I can do hold deer on the place and I know if its made legal there will be others around us doing the same.I dont hunt food plots that much so I dont think I would hunt a feeder that much either.I have nine mounts on the wall and none of them were killed on a food plot or feeder. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby bwm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:47 am

I've always heard that if you bait or use a feeder as such, the deer will eat and poop in the area of the feeder. If, for instance, corn gets spilled on the ground and the deer poops next to the corn, they eat both. This could cause a disease within the heard?
bwm
Admin

Postby nobucks » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:11 pm

The bill died in the senate.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:08 am

oh well..

its just a matter if time before it does pass. the way the bill was stated, it would have been just as confusing as it is for dove hunting, as to "whats legal and whats not"..
gtk
Admin

Postby ML » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:30 pm

I guess I'm kinda ridin the fence on this issue. I would probably put a feeder or two out if legal, but probably wouldn't hunt over it. You know,the whole fair chase thing and putting in the scouting time, which I really enjoy! On the other hand, if it would help get a youngster interested, then that is a plus.
May the sun be always at your back with the wind in your face,M.L. McGee
ML
button buck

Postby nobucks » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:25 am

I would like to put them out to hold deer on our place.I think the baiting of deer has been blown way out.If there is a study done in the south that can show where baiting was the direct cause of diseased deer I would be againest it.There are other states that have been doing it for years with no trouble.I;m not talking about pileing it up so it can mold.You should use feeders set to let a little at a time out.I plant foodplots and hunt very little over them.Of all the big deer I have taken none have been taken over a cornfeeder or pile on the ground.Most of us do what we can to hold wildlife on our land and this would be another tool to do that.I also try to teach my son whats right and wrong about hunting.If they say you can have them but not hunt over them I would do just that.I want to do whats right and I will but I still think feeders should be legal. :) :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:31 pm

heck, i think baiting is overrated anyway. I don't think it has an impact unless the deer are really hungry.

i really get into trailcams, and several times, I have tried "baiting" the cameras with corn, and have NEVER gotten a pic of the deer on our place eating corn.. All i did was feed the birds & coons. the corn I planted in my food plot and knocked down was a different story.
gtk
Admin

Postby Bayou » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:47 pm

We can bait here in louisiana.I have killed deer feeding on acorns,browse,food plots,and corn.I have bow hunted over corn before for as long as 2 1/2 weeks without seeing a deer.There deer are way more cautious going to the corn because they know it's not natural to have scattered corn in the middle of a thicket.As long as it's legal then go for it.
You will find me 25 feet up in a tree.
Bayou
button buck

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion