• Advertisement

morning or evening

Lets Talk Archery..

morning or evening

Postby bigsteve » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:05 pm

witch do you prefer to hunt. :?: :?:

i like the evening hunt it seems easier to get a shot at a deer in the morning they are so alert the only exception is late season i like mid morning after the frost burns off.
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Re: morning or evening

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Generally, I hunt both morning and evening during the season when I get the chance, which is almost every day. However, I see about twice as many deer, and consequently get about twice as many shots, in the evening. I wished it was the other way around, because I don't like killing a deer close to dark then having to trail and clean the deer at night.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 pm

i also hunt almost every day weather permitting if i shoot one and it's cool enough i usually leave them till daylight bad eyes after dark.and as you say the evening seems to be the best for me too :party :party
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby Bullie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Even though I am known as the preeminent authority on all things squirrel, I am also a top notch expert on wood goats and I don't mind sharing what I know with those of you that are less learned.

The reason most of the "new" generation of deer hunters see so many fewer deer in the morning is this strange desire to hunt food plots all the time. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that if there were any deer in the plot feeding... you pushed them out. But, people keep doing it and complaining. Back in the day folks knew to avoid the food plots in the morning and hunt trails leading to bedding areas to catch the deer leaving the food source and heading somewhere to take a nap.

You're welcome.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby chadbragg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I hunt more mornings than evenings myself. I will hunt any chance I get although as firecloud said I prefer not to track at night. Where I hunt leaving one over night is a VERY VERY last resort. Can almost guarantee you'll find a gnawed up deer the next morning!
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby acman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I like either but usually see more deer movement in morning. Like others said dont like tracking and cleaning at night but hunt whenever the opportunity arises
acman
button buck

Postby publichunter1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 am

Anytime I can. I have hunted more in my life in the morning as I usually have hunted public land and in wooded areas. However, it is nice to find a food source late in the evenings. All day during the rut.
publichunter1
button buck

Postby e_smith06 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 am

Bullie makes a good point, most folks see more deer in the evenings over food sources, but once you figure out to sit between the food source and bedding areas in the AM, you'll see a lot more deer. I like to hunt both morning and evening. However I pull a lot of midday hunts too
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Postby bigsteve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 am

i do not hunt food plots the majority of my hunting is on public land bow hunting i do not use trail cams or bait i hunt strictly on the amount of deer sign i see to me this makes the hunt more interesting because you don't know what you are going to see until he arrives i do hunt both but i have taken more deer in the evening with a bow than in the morning. :2TU: :2TU:
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby glenn » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:21 am

e_smith06 wrote:Bullie makes a good point, most folks see more deer in the evenings over food sources, but once you figure out to sit between the food source and bedding areas in the AM, you'll see a lot more deer. I like to hunt both morning and evening. However I pull a lot of midday hunts too

Please don't feed the ego. Never ever agree with Bullie on anything. He can barely get his head through the door as it is now. :stir:

Back when I hated deer and wanted them all dead, mornings were when I killed most of mine. Like BigSteve I hunted trails and sign. Now I've gotten older, lazy, don't hate them anymore and have had a lot of health problems, so I basically hunt plots now. As a result most of what I kill is in the afternoon.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby e_smith06 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 am

glenn wrote:
e_smith06 wrote:Bullie makes a good point, most folks see more deer in the evenings over food sources, but once you figure out to sit between the food source and bedding areas in the AM, you'll see a lot more deer. I like to hunt both morning and evening. However I pull a lot of midday hunts too

Please don't feed the ego. Never ever agree with Bullie on anything. He can barely get his head through the door as it is now. :stir:

Back when I hated deer and wanted them all dead, mornings were when I killed most of mine. Like BigSteve I hunted trails and sign. Now I've gotten older, lazy, don't hate them anymore and have had a lot of health problems, so I basically hunt plots now. As a result most of what I kill is in the afternoon.

Lol
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 pm

I love being in the stand before daylight, and seeing God's creation come alive all around me! I have killed more good bucks in the morning, but late evening is also hard to beat!
I hunt when I get the chance.Morning or evening....I'm there.
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby johndavid78 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 pm

For bow, definitely evenings....any and all the time with gun
johndavid78
8 Point

Postby patinlouisiana » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I feel I see more on the evening hunt but more quality deer in the AM and midday.

Sent from my iPad
2017-2018 useless member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I love the all day hunts but as I get older they get tougher each year. I looked back at some journals and I see about the same number of deer mornings and evenings, but I have harvested my better bucks in am hunts....
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 pm

just the opposite for me i do see about the same amount of deer but my better bucks have came midday or after noon i think you just have to be there i can't sit all day any more hurt too much have to move after about 4hrs.
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Archery