• Advertisement

beginning xbow question

Lets Talk Archery..

beginning xbow question

Postby danielw » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm considering getting a xbow and not going to break the bank on one, so I've set my spending range under $450. This being said, I am looking at a Barnett Recuit package because of the narrow bow profile and weight. But wonder if it would not be worthwild to purchase a top end model Horton without warranty for the same $$$ as the Recuit?
danielw
10 Point

Re: beginning xbow question

Postby chadbragg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Check out the Carbon Express. I just got the Covert SLS and love it. It's smoking fast and 13.5" ata. It's right around $500 but everything about the package is quality.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 pm

My good friend bought a Horton ultralight a couple weeks ago and had problems with it out of box. He's stuck now with a $300 xbow that he can't shoot until he finds someone that can check it out. Personally I'd avoid Horton.
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby danielw » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm

chadbragg, I do not foresee a 56 day archery only, which is truely only 41 days, season in the near future. Sad to say it, but archery season is going the way "primative firearms" have gone, AWAY :( . That is the reason I'm not going over a $450 limit. I'm willing to pay for qaulity more than I am a name. That is what it looks like is happening with what Hortons that are still out there, as long as they weren't assembled on Monday or Friday.
danielw
10 Point

Postby chadbragg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

Carbon express has a couple models that are in your price range. I went with the CE because there are very little negative comments about it out there. So far I'm 100% satisfied with mine. I have added 2 accessories to mine and its CRAZY quiet. Honestly it's no louder than a normal vertical bow.
Xfactor crossbow package ($32 from amazon)
Blood Sport ZVT ($60 from gomuddy.com)

These two are great accessories for any crossbow, they take the majority of the crossbow THWACK & all of the felt hand shock away.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (217.54 KiB) Viewed 193 times
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Daniel, in the past 12 months, I have murdered four deer with a Parker Enforcer crossbow. It is an excellent affordable bow that shoots at 305 FPS. You really don't want ANY crossbow that shoots at less than 300 fps, due to the greater drop at distances over 30 yards that comes from slower speed bows. Faster is better, so Chad's recommended bow, which shoots at 355 fps, is definitely a better bow...but at a higher price.

Since I lost my Parker Enforcer last week, I may replace it with the bow Chad recommends. But if money is a factor, and when isn't it, the Parker Enforcer will put every single deer you shoot on the ground just as well as any other bow and will do it for a price that is within your budget. I'd be perfectly happy myself with another Parker Enforcer because it is a solid, well constructed bow that really packs a punch.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm

There is one in the classified section on the Bull Nettler forum. You may take a look at it.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Return to Archery